Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Eliminating the Ballast Resistor in my 62

Toy4Hal

Corvette
62 Maroon, 03 Anniversary Convertible
I have a Pertronix II module to replace the points and a matching Pertronix coil which I'm told eliminates the need for the ballast resistor. With that said, do I wire both the green and brown wire (along with the wiper motor wire) to the positive side of the coil with the Pertroinc black wire?

Thanks in advance. Hal

Don't know about the Pertronix hook up but to eliminate the resistor, connecting the green, brown and the wiper motor together on the + post will work. If the directions say to connect the Pertronix to the + post of the coil too that should do the trick. The idea is to have a full 12 volts to the distributor. I would buy a junction block and mount it in place of the resistor. Then connect the green, brown and wiper motor wire to it so as not to have to modify the wiring or stack too many connectors on the + terminal.

Tom

I installed a Mallory Unilite electronic distributor in the '66 and their instructions say to KEEP the ballast resistor intact. You should call the supplier before eliminating the resistor. I also added a spring loaded push button switch to supply 12 volts to the coil for startup. My mini-starter and solenoid did not have the extra post for the origional wire back to the coil at starter activation.

I would buy a junction block and mount it in place of the resistor. Then connect the green, brown and wiper motor wire to it so as not to have to modify the wiring or stack too many connectors on the + terminal.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I was just at the store getting a junction box when you message came in. Tougher to find than I thought. Had to fidn one at a Marine shop.

Thanks. Hal

On the firewall there is a ceramic resistor that has to be bypassed. Its white with two screws with wires attached and the two wires must be spliced.
\
I have a Pertronix II module to replace the points and a matching Pertronix coil which I'm told eliminates the need for the ballast resistor. With that said, do I wire both the green and brown wire (along with the wiper motor wire) to the positive side of the coil with the Pertroinc black wire?

Thanks in advance. Hal

Orlandjoe: The instructions for the Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil are quite specific: Take out the ballast resistor for an 8 cyl. car. Good to get rid of this extra part!

Redvett: I believe you are referring to the Ballast Resistor which is what I have eliminated through this change. The "splicing" you refer to is (I believe) making the green and brown wires connected. That's what I did through a junction box as Tom suggested.

Glad things worked out Hal. The junction boxes are not hard to find online but I'll bet they are scarce at the auto parts store. I have seen some that would work at radio shack also.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom