Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing Resistor Wire, Pertronix Ingitor II System

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Hi Folks,

I relented and decided to install the Pertronix Ingitor II and Flamethrower II (45,000 v) coil.

In order to receive the full 12 volts, the cloth braided resistor wire needs to be replaced with a 16-18 gauge wire.

Do I need to actually install the new wire in the wire connector located block under the master cylinder? If so, how does the wire come out?.... or can I splice the existing wire immediately outside of wire connector block?

Thanks.

Ralph

Since the the cloth braided resistor wire is stainless steel soldering isnt an option. Yes you need to remove the outside connector and on the inside carefully squeeze the blade together and pullout. Did the new wire have a terminal on it? Or do you have to supply it?

Did the new wire have a terminal on it? Or do you have to supply it?

I have to supply it. I was wondering if it would be okay to just wire the new coil directly to the fuse box - since it need the full 12 volts.

Any thoughts?

I have to supply it. I was wondering if it would be okay to just wire the new coil directly to the fuse box - since it need the full 12 volts.

Any thoughts?

That will work fine, as long as it's connected to an ignition-switched circuit (hot only when the key is "on"). Check that circuit for power with the key in "start"; if no power in "start", you'll need to use your existing 20-ga. yellow wire from the "R" terminal on the starter solenoid to the coil so it powers both the coil and the Pertronix module during cranking.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom