Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Emergency Brake Repair

My 98 Vette

Corvette
1998 Torch red Corvette Convertible
The emergency brake on my 1998 Convertible is not working. The handle just goes all the way with no resistance. I had it to the dealer who lubricated the cable and said it was fixed. :mad Of course it wasn't. Any suggestions?? :confused Is it in the handle...the cables or the emergency brake pads themselves. Any insight would be helpful. ;help Thanks

See if this helps.

Thanks Bob. I will give it a try. Is there no adjustment at the handle end of the emergency brake? Any idea how to remove the handle assembly to check for cable movement? Thanks again for the link.

Before you take the handle apart you should take off the rear weals and hand adjust the pads to the drum. It's simple and depending on milage you might replace the old ones. Only when you know that the drums are properly adjusted, and there is still to much slack, then go after the lever and cable.:bang
Good luck.

Man, that is one sharp white vert. Did they ever make c5's with white interior?

PM or e-mail me for more details about fixing the parking brake. I had to replace mine due to a failure in the handle. Its symptoms were: No resistance when pulling up, would not stay in the 'engaged' position, nothing was wrong at the rear wheels. The design was changed after MY99 and the replacement part reflects the new design. Takes about 45 minutes to do the R&R if you have never taken the console apart before. You can do it in 30 minutes though. Pretty easy really.

HTH,

Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom