Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Emissions help????

A

AZPilot26

I just bought a 76 vette L82 Manual. As far as I know, this version came with catalyst converters, but did NOT come with the air/smog system. The exhaust has been replaced, so I am unable to tell from the headers if there was a smog system. Does anyone out there know if my 76 vette had this system installed from factory? Arizona is failing my car for emmisions and stating I am breaking federal laws by not having the smog system on my vette, which I believe never came with one. Please help if anyone knows!!!!

For '76 all Vettes used CCS (Controlled Combustion System) for emissions except for Calif certified cars which used A.I.R.

Also, the emissions sticker, next to the master cylinder, should list the standard emission equipment.

tom...

Look into antique license plates. In IL and I believe all the states as long as you have antique plates you do not need emissions tests. Under the antique plates though, you are only suppose to drive your car to and from shows, to get worked on, or to show it to people. I drive mine daily and have never had a problem from the cops. Hey, officer, just out to get gas, just out to get an oil change, lol. Never been stopped because of them.

I just checeked my sticker near the master cylinder and saw AIR EGR etc... DO I have the dreaded alifornia emissions version? A guy thats in charge of a vette club here looked at my car, said mine never had the smog system. I'm all mixed up. As far as getting anitue plates in AZ there called historic and don't do anything for you besides making you pay more for uglier looking plates. No matter what you do, if your car is younger then 35 years, you HAVE to go for emissions, no if ands or butts! I know other states usually have the rolling 25 years or older - no emissions test. AZ is such a great state though, (cough A@%holes) they dislike classic car collectors!

AZPilot26 said:
DO I have the dreaded alifornia emissions version?
Check the engine stamp pad for the usage code. The Calif cars had a suffix of CLS. The 49 state cars used CKX for the auto and CKW for the manual.

tom...

From what I remember.....

All 76's (+ other years, but let's limit this to '76 for now) sold in CA had AIR pumps -- whether L48 or L82.

Federal L-82's also had AIR pumps in 76. But Federal L-48's did not.

I have a 76, Federal L-48. Back when I lived in California I was able to pass their smog tests (both tailpipe and visual) without the AIR. They had a 'special' book for Corvettes (that listed installed equipment) since there's so much confusion..... I have tried finding a copy of that book but have not been able to.

My wife's '79 (also a federal L-48) has no AIR, and also was accepted in California. But I believe L-82 and high-altitude certified L-48's did have AIR.

So I would say if your engine is indeed an L-82, it had the AIR pump originally.

I recall seeing a thread either here, or on one of the other forums from a year or so ago, from someone who was an NCRS judge or inspector, which was a definitive listing of the emissions equipment on all of the C3's.

/Pancho

Looked at the origonal engine still in the vette and see CHC stamped on her.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom