Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Emissions requirements for a '79 in TX

Let me throw another money wrench into this discussion. There is a Texas law that states it is illegal to sell a car that does not have all of it emission equipment in place and in working order.

"Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation. Buyers are advised to have the vehicle checked for all required emission control devices prior to purchasing a new or used vehicle."

This quote from: http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/air/ms/tampering.html#tamp3

I have never seen it enforced, but it is on the books.

tom...

Mike,

What will the inspectors in counties that are NOT doing the emissions tail pipe test be looking for. Will they still do a visual and require AIR, EGR, etc. to be on the car, or will they never even look under the hood?

81vette,
The inspectors are supposed to be checking for the presence of emission equipment in all counties but most of them don't.

Mike

I've been looking over the texas rules, and I noticed that engines from newer cars of the same make and model can be installed in older cars as long as you keep the emissions from that new car intact. It seems that a TPI setup from a newer model Corvette might give me the performance I'm looking for, meet emissions, and clean up the look under the hood. There is also good aftermarket support for performance upgrades.

My question is: did any of these TPI model Corvettes come without the EGR, or the AIR pump? Which ones had dual pipes all the way back with dual cats from the factory?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom