Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Emissions stuff?

cstarr89

Corvette
1981 charcoal grey coupe auto
Hi everyone,
I know this topic has been gone over before but I was wondering if anyone had removed any restrictive emissions equipment off the 81 vettes? As soon as june rolls around I plan on doing some work (possibly replacing stock exhaust manifold with headers)and was wondering how hard it would be to remove/replace anything restrictive while I was at it? Is it even worth messing with? Im in southern ohio with no emission checks so whatever suggestions youd have I'd greatly appreciate it.

The O2 Sensor is an active component with the 1981. Soo if you go with headers it might be easier to add the O2 sensor than to fight the codes and ECM ;) Other than that I personally don't think the other items make that much difference in hp... Of course a restictive cat, but with headers I would probably remove the cat ;)

Bud

Hi everyone,
I know this topic has been gone over before but I was wondering if anyone had removed any restrictive emissions equipment off the 81 vettes? As soon as june rolls around I plan on doing some work (possibly replacing stock exhaust manifold with headers)and was wondering how hard it would be to remove/replace anything restrictive while I was at it? Is it even worth messing with? Im in southern ohio with no emission checks so whatever suggestions youd have I'd greatly appreciate it.
Go to search and type emissions. Some very good info and many options. MY 81 was prchased in Oregon with very heavey smog laws. Her in WA my car is to old so Ive removed every smog component but did keep the vac can for fuel tank hooked up. Even removed ECM . The car has really come alive.

Installed
edle carb and intake
dynamax ceramic headers
mallory dist with 1838 vac can
2 1/2 true duels no h or x pipe
magna flow mufflers

I have removed my cat and added true dual exhaust. I also rebuilt my stock carb and plugged up many of the emissions hoses coming off of it (I kept everything I took off and boxed up for originality sake). I don't think mine had a smog pump when I purchased it, it must have been removed. These carbs were built/modified for gas mileage, but all in all it can be set up as a solid performance carb. You can also adjust the timing and gain a few free ponies, but be very careful about this. You need someone that really understands how to fine tune the carb and timing. Mine will chirp the tires when shifting in 2nd, it NEVER did that before. Be prepared for your gas mileage to be much worse if you take off any emissions parts and if you don't use premium gas you will have to after you adjust the timing as I have. I also put a quart of Lucas oil in mine with every oil change; it has over 90K miles on the original engine and this has all but stopped it from smoking and the engine seems less "noisy", I swear by it on older engines. I also have the computer chip and thermostat, but I think that was a waste of money; I saw no difference in performance. There are many different opinions on all of this and what is effective, but this combination has really worked for me and wasn't expensive. I don't have headers. A finely tuned and maintained engine goes a long way too...without any modification. Stock the HP was very low (190?) but the torque still approaches 300.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom