Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

End of Classic Cars on the Road?

2VettesMike

Corvette
1972 Bryar Blue Coupe 1993 40th Coupe
As soon as I cool off I am starting writing letters to anyone who'll listen about this article just posted:mad

Mike

The end of Classic Cars?

After midnight last night I heard this dramatic news and have had to rewrite this week’s blog at extremely short notice. However, this seemed so important that it should be the main feature of today’s newsletter.

As you may have already heard by now the US Congress have passed a new law which was backed by the Department of Transportation banning cars over 20 years of age from being driven on the roads.

This will have such a profound impact upon the classic car owners across America that this week it seemed inappropriate for me for me to continue in my usual jovial style.

Below is the statement that was given to the commons yesterday to explain the reasoning behind House bill HB2011/4/01.

‘Having looked at a number of studies, conducted across a wide variety of countries, it becomes clear that cars over 20 years old have far higher CO2 emissions than their contemporary counterparts. Furthermore accidents involving pedestrians and motorists more likely to lead to a fatality in cars over 20 years old than in cars produced since 2008.

It would be remiss of the United States not to consider both the environmental and human costs that older vehicles present to the public. This decision will no doubt be vilified by motoring organisations as a curtailment of motorists freedoms, however looking at the statistics there was simply no way in good conscience, we could not act.’

This is obviously not going to come into effect immediately and is set to begin from the 1st of April 2013 so there is time for people to comply. So far the Department of Transportation has not addressed the specific concerns of classic car enthusiasts but one would imagine they will need to fairly quickly as this is going to have serious consequences for many businesses as well as enthusiasts.
The act doesn’t mean it will be impossible to own or drive a car over 20 years of age but rather that the rules governing it will become much stricter.

In future anyone wishing to keep a car over 20 years of age will have to register the car as off road permanently and will then need to apply for a special license to drive the car to events. This license will need to be applied for three months before attending any event and a maximum of 5 licenses will be granted per year.

It is not yet clear what this will mean for people competing in motor sporting fixtures or whether the licenses will be granted per car or per person.

Rather outrageously the DOT spokesperson I spoke to claimed this would not make a big difference to the classic car scene and that they were rather more concerned that low income families who owned older cars were able to replace their aging vehicle with no additional financial outlay.

I’m sure I will be writing more about this at a later date as I imagine the classic car world will be abuzz with little else for the next two years.
I have included a link below to a website with full details on House bill HB2011/4/01.

More details to follow as soon as I have them.

Phil Cooper

Must be as I can not find anything about it on a google search.

Damn had me sweating.......I just bought a 86 vette !! :happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom