Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Engine and electrical system died while driving

jw15870

Corvette
Hi gang, I need help. Finally had all the bugs worked out, and was taking the car to show it off for the first time at local car show. Running along at about 40 mph, when the motor quit along with all electrical. Battery has full charge (so its not the alternator). No interior lights, radio, hazards or brakes. Completely dead. Here's what I think may have happened: On my set-up, the oil dipstick is very close to the leads on the starter. (Non-original motor and starter). I think the dipstick touched the lead and shorted my system. What I don't know is, what components in the electrical system would have potentially blown in this scenario? Starter solenoid? Ignition? Some fuseable link? And how do I check for this? OR, maybe corroded battery lines, but I don't think that would cause it to stop while driving it, would it? Any advice is appreciated.

I would start with the fuses. check all of those first.
I would think if the dipstick touched the lead there would be a mark on it from where it touched(or arced)
I would check the alternator as well to see if something inside popped.

Hi gang, I need help. Finally had all the bugs worked out, and was taking the car to show it off for the first time at local car show. Running along at about 40 mph, when the motor quit along with all electrical. Battery has full charge (so its not the alternator). No interior lights, radio, hazards or brakes. Completely dead. Here's what I think may have happened: On my set-up, the oil dipstick is very close to the leads on the starter. (Non-original motor and starter). I think the dipstick touched the lead and shorted my system. What I don't know is, what components in the electrical system would have potentially blown in this scenario? Starter solenoid? Ignition? Some fuseable link? And how do I check for this? OR, maybe corroded battery lines, but I don't think that would cause it to stop while driving it, would it? Any advice is appreciated.

Probably blew the fusable like in the power lead coming from the starer to the fuse box.

Thanks. I'll check the fuse panel just above the driver's side floor board. I checked my manual and don't see any other fuses anywhere. Are there others I should check?

Thanks. I'll check the fuse panel just above the driver's side floor board. I checked my manual and don't see any other fuses anywhere. Are there others I should check?

If I remember correctly, there is at least one fuseable link in-line with the !10 Guage wire that goes from the starter solenoid top post to the back of the fuse block. Use a DMM or a test light and see if you have 12 volts at the fose panel, and work from there.

No power?

I have the same problem with NO power at all. It started right up and then I turned the headlight switch on and everything went dead. In checking the battery it has a full charge, and I just spent $110.00 on new battery cables so I can cross that off the list. Everything is hooked up correct so the only thing I can think off is the two fusible links coming off of the starter?
My question is has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix?

Help!!

I have the same problem with NO power at all. It started right up and then I turned the headlight switch on and everything went dead. In checking the battery it has a full charge, and I just spent $110.00 on new battery cables so I can cross that off the list. Everything is hooked up correct so the only thing I can think off is the two fusible links coming off of the starter?
My question is has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix?

Help!!
The fusible links are known to go occasionally.
Most people just replace the links and all is good.:thumb

The fusable links are there for the starter. If she started right up then the links are oke. From the moment your engine is running the fuseable links don't have any function anymore.

As for the problem. Try running is with the alternator disconnected maybe a shortage in that thing?

Greetings Peter

The fusable links are there for the starter. If she started right up then the links are oke. From the moment your engine is running the fuseable links don't have any function anymore.

As for the problem. Try running is with the alternator disconnected maybe a shortage in that thing?

Greetings Peter

Headlights are on a separate link to everything else and require this link at all times.
Everything else should be fine in theory, but often is not the case.

No power

I have power before and after the two fusible links at the starter, power at the alternator, but no power at positive side of distributor or at fuse panel. I do however have power to the cluster of wires going to the ignition switch?
Totally confused.....should I have power showing at the pos terminal of distributor??

Do you have a spark going to the plugs????

I have power before and after the two fusible links at the starter, power at the alternator, but no power at positive side of distributor or at fuse panel. I do however have power to the cluster of wires going to the ignition switch?
Totally confused.....should I have power showing at the pos terminal of distributor??
You will only have power at the distributor in start or run.
If you do have power to the ignition switch thing like your headlights, stop lights and hazards should still run. (They go straight to the fuse panel)

No power

You will only have power at the distributor in start or run.
If you do have power to the ignition switch thing like your headlights, stop lights and hazards should still run. (They go straight to the fuse panel)

I have no lights or or spark to my plugs. No power to any of the fuse panel or ignition at the fuse box?

OK,where do you have power going to???

Thats an odd one. There is a junction on the 12v line to the ignition switch that could have failed but that wouldn't explain why your headlights don't work, since they have a fusible link all to themselves.
Only things that I can think of are some serious grounding issues.
Or that your alternator isn't working and your battery just happened to go dead when you switched the lights on. This is an easy one to check, just switch your lights on and measure the voltage at the battery, it should stay at around 12v if the battery is fine.

No power

OK,where do you have power going to???
Power to alternator, power past the two fusible links at starter and I have power to the ignition harness going to the ignition switch. Other than that I have nothing no lights nothing at fuse box. I did notice the fuse was blown in the fuse box for ac/heater but changed with no luck. Car started right up and when I turned the headlights on it completely went dead? I'm totally clueless and don't know the correlation with turning the headlamps on and totally losing power?

Here's what I think may have happened: On my set-up, the oil dipstick is very close to the leads on the starter. (Non-original motor and starter). I think the dipstick touched the lead and shorted my system.

I had the same thing once and it ended up being the starter wire touching the headers. Instant everything off.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom