Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Choice ?

Corvette
1990 ZR1 BLACK/RED 2865
I am planning a Kit car project (corvettecreation.com) and I am thinking about an LT5 engine. Some friends have questioned my choice of engine, they say that it has some reliability problems. I figure that if anyone knows, you folks will. So what do you think? LT5 or small block?

Thanks for your help
Bill

Reliability????? You need better educated friends.

As far as cost, a SBC is cheaper and easier to install, but lacks the ooooh ahhhhh factor compared to a hot rod with a LT5.

There never was a reliability issue with LT5 engine. Initial cost and lack of qualified mechanics are only draw-backs.
Mike

Thanks for the replies. That’s what I thought after reading on this forum. Jeffvette, how did you know it was the ooooh ahhhhh factor that really turned me on? Now I have to make sure it will fit into the '59 "Faux-vette". Then find knowledgeable mechanic for back up. :)

ßill said:
Thanks for the replies. That’s what I thought after reading on this forum. Jeffvette, how did you know it was the ooooh ahhhhh factor that really turned me on? Now I have to make sure it will fit into the '59 "Faux-vette". Then find knowledgeable mechanic for back up. :)

That's why the LT5 winds up in most hot rods. I've seen a LT5 in a 55 nomad, a 65 Vette. The LT5 will fit anyplace a normal SBC will. It's just mating up a tranny and the wiring that will give you fits.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of the project.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom