Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Code Suffixes & L88 question

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
Is there any way to find the Engine Code Suffixes on your car? I have paper work showing that my car was probably a 427 tri-power, but i would like to know for sure so i can buy the correct replacemnt cam etc etc. Anyway of finding out these facts?

I have a vette book and it shows the L88 had 12:1 compression. how did they do that on pump gas back then? It also shows that in 68 the L88 had 560 HP and in 69 it had 430.

Is there any way to find the Engine Code Suffixes on your car? I have paper work showing that my car was probably a 427 tri-power, but i would like to know for sure so i can buy the correct replacemnt cam etc etc. Anyway of finding out these facts?

I have a vette book and it shows the L88 had 12:1 compression. how did they do that on pump gas back then? It also shows that in 68 the L88 had 560 HP and in 69 it had 430.
back then sunoco 260 was 103 octane. 560 was the real HP with open headers

THe specs are on top of the tank? hmm guess i'll be pull'n the tank out of the car. haha I think i have heard that before somewhere. awesome!

Yeah unfortunately the original motor went MIA long time ago

THe specs are on top of the tank?
yep, IF the tank sticker is still there and IF it's still readable.

If so, I'd take some very good pics of it first before you attempt to remove it. it's glued there and most likely will rip if you try to take it off

Well I took my tank out. Guess what..... it's a new replacement tank, no info, what a bummer.

The car is a 69, is there anything else i could look at to determine what motor was in it? maybe the door tags etc?

The car is a 69, is there anything else i could look at to determine what motor was in it? maybe the door tags etc?

There are no clues on the VIN plate or door trim tag. Does it have just one main fuel line from the tank to the pump on the passenger side, or does it have two lines on that side (one larger than the other)?

it has 2 lines.

That says it originally had a Q-Jet, which was only used on the 350/300hp, 350/350hp, and 427/390hp engines. Holley-equipped cars (L-68 3x2 400hp, L-71 3x2 435hp, and L-88) only had the one main fuel line and no return line.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom