Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

engine codes & problem starting; Please help

GranburyZ06

Corvette
2004 Z06
I recently purchased a black 04z with 5500 miled on it. The car is in near perfect condition inside and out, but recently have had some problems. Now she normally will not start unless I quickly flick the accelerator pedal while turning key. If not it just keeps turning but will not fire up. This problem is intermitten but happens more ofter than not. Also check engine light came on with the
1) P0174(Fuel Trim System Lean Bank) and
2) U1064H code (Loss of Communications with BCM)
The car seems to sound and run fine once I get it started
Now I just have her sitting in the garage. If anyone has any ideas they would greatly be appreciated.
Thanx

Code P0174 means something might be wrong with your engine controls such that the right bank of cylinders is running way lean. This code can set if you run the car out of fuel.

I'd clear codes and road test. If the DTC resets, there's an engine controls problem causing the cylinders 2,4,6 and 8 to run lean. Do a quick check for vacuum leaks. If you find none and if you are an intermediate-to-advanced DIY, you need to consult the Factory Service Manual for the diagnostic info for that code and follow the instructions. It is likely you will need a scan tester to solve that code.

As for the U1064H, I'd clear codes and road test to see if it resets. If it does, again, you need the FSM and probably a scan tester and likely a DMM to solve it.

If you're not a DIY, you need to take the car to a service facility with experience diagnosing and repairing the engine controls on a C5 Vette.

Granbury,
I used to have an '03 Z06. Every once in a while, I would get the same code errors you are getting, and the problem was always the same: the Mass Air Flow sensor had come loose. Not loose so that it wasn't connected, but loose that a gap had begun to develop where it connects. Check it on yours and see if it might need to be tightened up. Every time I did that, the codes went away.

-Patrick

Thank you Hib and Patrick for the post. I will be working on her this weekend. Will use the info when trying to sort this situation out

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom