Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine idle speed?

Johan

Corvette
1974 red coupe, 1969 yellow vert
I was going to set the timing on my L-82 this weekend, and in order to do so I first wanted to set the idle speed correct.
I hooked up an external rmp-meter to get it right (my internal is broken), but got a bit surprised when it showed just 400 rpm...
Well, it is supposed to be 900-950, but can the engine even run at 400? The question is if I can trust the rpm-meter...?
I can hear that the idle is a bit low, but my "engine ear" is not good enough to say if it really IS running at such a low speed as 400.
And if it is, then more than doubling it seems a bit to much.

What do you think?

Check to make sure your RPM gauge is set for 8 cylinders. If it is, on some units you may have to double the reading -- you'll see something on the gauge face like "Double reading for 8-cyl." or something.

Yes, an L82 can idle at 400 rpm in Drive (mine did before I adjusted it). But it's very rough and feels like the engine is about the die...

I do have the right scale.
I also had this thought about that it might infact be half of the actual rpm, but it doesn't say anything about it in the rpm meter instructions, and besides that, it is a combined rpm- and dwell angle meter, and it works fine for metering the dwell angle (using the same connection).

if it is 400 rpm, i think you would know it, no matter what your 'ear' experience. it would sound like it wants to stall, chug, lots of vibrations...

Rev it 'till it screams for mercy:eek ... if it shows about 3 to 3,5 thousand then you'll know the scale is half. Yea, bubba's sitting right here!
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom