Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Engine Oil

Dude331

Does anyone use different oil other than Mobile1? I refuse to use ExxonMobile products and I'm curious to know if any full synthetic oil would be OK.

Mobil 1 is a good product, but not a great one.

The two best engine oils for Corvettes, IMO are Driven Racing Oil LS-30 5W30 or Red Line 10W30.

Both are premium "full" synthetic oils. LS-30 uses a modern, mPAO base and Red Line uses a proven ester-base.

They are the only two engine oils I've ever used in my Corvettes for the last almost 30 years.

Does anyone use different oil other than Mobile1? I refuse to use ExxonMobile products and I'm curious to know if any full synthetic oil would be OK.

Any full synthetic that meets GM standards for your model and year engine engine would be fine.

The Driven and Red Line oils mentioned are good choices except for the price, but if price is no concern then I would use either of them.

Thanks for the responses. Ever since the Exxon Valdez incident I’ve refused to use their products.

Thanks for the responses. Ever since the Exxon Valdez incident I’ve refused to use their products.

Fair enough.

But keep in mind that Mobil 1 is a bargain, when bought properly, for a proven high quality synthetic oil that does meet GM requirements.

Fair enough.

But keep in mind that Mobil 1 is a bargain, when bought properly, for a proven high quality synthetic oil that does meet GM requirements.

Right after pulling intake, aprox 120K with Mobile1 15000 mile extended service. Cylinder walls show almost no wear.

engine Feb 2017 006.JPG

Any full synthetic that meets GM standards for your model and year engine engine would be fine.

The Driven and Red Line oils mentioned are good choices except for the price, but if price is no concern then I would use either of them.

As a former OEM (vehicle manufacturer) employee in design engineering for 20 years; I learned the depth they test oils and any oil that meets their standards is good stuff.
All OEMs test engine oil, transmission (manual or automatic), differential oils, antifreeze, even different brands of gas or diesel and various additives. The why of it is simple; paying warranty and extended warranty claims is money off their profits.

Right after pulling intake, aprox 120K with Mobile1 15000 mile extended service. Cylinder walls show almost no wear.

Without the heads off, how did you measure the bores to get that "almost no wear" number?

A 120K on the engine; with the valve covers off it looks mighty clean to me.. Depending on how hard they were run with gas engines, a couple of thousands wear at 100K is pretty much normal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom