Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine pics

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
Hi gang,

I just realized that I have never shown my new engine (9.7 Compresion Ratio; Alum Edelbrock heads; Comp Cam 268H; 1.52 roller tip rockers (this rockers ratio is a story on its own); fresh and magnafluxed & balanced short block.

It is all buried underneeth all that smog stuff...:L

I also have a short video clip of it, but I do not know how to attach it to the Forum :confused

and another

another angle...wow can't even see the new heads :cry

Looks nice :) Now with a small amount of clean up :w

Clean up

Wegone,

You are right! All that stuff all around the engine is really depressing me :hb. I still have the original block and heads for the L81, so I am going to begin taking all the L81 -related stuff off and saving it for when I rebuild my original engine. I'll even switch valve covers and air cleaner. I'll keep the A/C :cool

Once I rebuild the engine, I'll install all of that stuff onto it while it awaits installation on the engine stand. It should take me about 30 days to remove all the brush off the engine. Then we'll be able to see the blue engine block and chrome detail work. I'll post new look pictures then :eyerole

GerryLP

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your engine, did you do all the work yourself? I guess I'm trying to build up my confidence to do a similiar task. I have 66,500 miles now and will be dealing with a carb rebuild and intake manifold gasket issues this spring. The engine uses no oil or has any leaks but wondering how far I should go with this. Mine shows its age and doesn't look new under the hood either but looks aren't everything. Again thanks for sharing your pics and will be watching for pics of your original rebuild.

Chuck :w

I am sorry to say that the work was not done by me. In my haste to drive the car to the Vette Fest last september, I hired a shop to do it. At the end, they were not done in time, and ended driving the Diamante to Bowling Green. :hb

I think I had some exhuberant youth left over in me, and I got panicky over the situation. Learned from that one. :cry

More pics....

Gerry, my 81's engine bay looked like yours until last spring.
1 day in the garage, some spray paint, wire loom and some chrome goodies, and...WA-LA.

Now your talking!!!!

I am weighin two options:

1) If I can get a working computer chip from Jet Performance, then I plan to keep the E4ME carb and dress the engine compartment similarly as yours.

Or

2) If the custom computer chip does not pan out, then I plan to save all my original air cleaner parts, ignition, carb, and air pump for my later L81 rebuild AND dress the engine compartment to look like Tom73's vette or something like that. Air cleaner a few goodies, but mostly stripped off all cumbersome hosing. You'll be able to see the engine block and chrome timing chain cover.

Are those A-4's in the avatar??

Custom chips........ GRRRRRRRR. Short route to frustration unless it's ALL a package.

:w

Whale Pirot,

Yes they're A-4 Skyhawks! This is one of my favorite Hank Caruso's depiction of the old and venerable war fighter. I got my initial aircraft maintenance training on them about 20 + years ago. I highly identify with them (obviously)...:L

I faxed the specs on my engine, tranny, and rear end to the folks at Jet Performance today. I hope they'll be able to help me with a custom computer chip for this combination. :bu

Lytemup,

I still have to install my new headers and Weiand manifold on my vehicle. My work obligations are keeping me busy during the week. Maybe this weekend I'll get them installed. There is a vehicle dyno on the east part of Albuquerque, and I plan to take it there once I get those items installed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom