Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Planning

H

Hijinx

It looks like we here in Texas are about to get something akin to CARB regulation. So, in planning for all I want to do to the '73, I'm trying to decide on what to do engine wise. I am good, healthy engine wise, but not so good from an HP standpoint. I planned to build a 425 hp 383 stroker, which I already have a brand new 4 bolt main block and 400 crank waiting for. However, with the new regulations going into effect I am starting to think I need to consider just building or dropping in a later model Vette (or similar) engine, complete with electronics and cat's. I would like to get some opinions on this. I know that I am looking at a much larger expense to go later model. I also am not too keen on having to put all the electronics in, as I am not good at that type of tuning (not that I'm all that good on any type of tuning, but I at least fool myself into thinking I am). If I go this route, I might be pursuaded to do something exotic (no I'm not talking about dancing, unless it gets me a better deal on an engine). Anyone ever tried to squeeze in a Viper V10 in a C3 Vette? OK, maybe not that exotic. I could use some opinions here. What ever I do, I want it to be quick, last until I die, and pass emissions. Wha-da-ya think?

Rod,
Tom has a great point, if you don't need emissions, don't run them. As for your proposed 383, Holley and Edlelbrock both make a tuned port fuel injection system for about a grand. They will support up to 400 hp easily. After 400 hp, you will need to upgrade injectors, pumps, electronics, etc. But with what you are looking for, I think the lower budget 400hp stuff will make you smile. I have not personnally installed either system, but know several people that have. They all said the systems are simple and user/installer friendly with great performance. All they had to do was call the manufacturer with their engine specs and car weight, and they burned an e-prom customized for their vehicles. Considdering a carb and intake combo run around $600, and extra $400 to $500 for an injection system complete with manifold isn't to bad. Best of luck with the project, and keep us posted on the outcome! Later, Brian

It does not look like you need to worry about this.

In the same respect, Fuel Injection is the way to go if you want predictable, reliable, efficient performance from your car.

You know I am fuel injecting my 69. Turns out that you have plenty of room on the back of the passenger dash pad to mount a computer of almost any size. Putting a return line and electric fuel pump in is a snap. The rest of it is connecting wires, and bolting on the intake.

For the hsp you are after, a stock 1985-1991 Tuned Port Injection manifold from a Vette won't do you much good, other than look cool and drive nice. They are too restrictive on air flow. There are tons after aftermarket applications out there. For a full multi port system though, you will have about $2,000 in the basic set up (intake, injectors, pump, computer, harness, brackets, etc). There are some less expensive throttle body system out there that allow you to use a standard carb intake, and bolt the throttle body on where the carb normally goes. These do have limits on tuning and performance, but will still out perform your basic carb any day of the week.

You can also check with Street and Performance, Arizona Speed and Marine, TPiS, and of course Holley, Accel, and Edebrock for some sweet systems.

Thanks for the input. Glad to see I am still out, from an age standpoint, on the testing. I guess I could kill two birds with one stone and start saving for one of the fuel injection systems (aftermarket) and fix my carb problem all at once. The system should handle what I have now up to what I plan to build. I can easily scale back the engine I am planning to hit the 400 hp goal. Great ideas.

If anybody runs across an article on install of one of these aftermarket units. Let me know.

The TNRCC site is great!

I was worryied about emissions testing coming to San Antonio, but two things are working in my favor: my car will soon be over 24 yrs. old, and I could always get the 5000 mile per year waiver! (In the latter case, all I have to do is get a $100 tuneup)

I thought I'd copy this stuff from the TNRCC site...

* Waivers: Program requirements are waived if:
* the registered owner of the vehicle cannot afford to comply with the program, based on reasonable income standards;
* a vehicle cannot be brought into compliance with emissions standards by performing repairs;
* a vehicle on which at least $100 has been spent, has been driven fewer than 5000 miles since the last safety inspection and will be driven less than 5000 miles before the next safety inspection; or
* if parts are not readily available for a vehicle.

page62,
If you think that is interesting, check out this page:
http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/air/ms/tampering.html
You cannot sell a car that does not have all its emission equipment in place and functioning.

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition.

tom...

Emission Inspection

We USE TO have emission inspection here in Florida but they ended it a year or two ago. When it was in effect it only concerned cars 1975 and newer.
When the insp. was made they were only concerned in whether it had cats on it and the final exhaust reading. So if you passed the mirror test (looking for the cats) and your exhaust was with in the limits you were ok. They never in all the years I went thru it looked under the hood for a pump or any other pollution equipt. My old 79 truck passed every year and didn't even have the belt on it to the pump.

One other trick is using the emission gas additive. I don't know whats in that bottle but it sure works.

Yea, when I got my '73 inspected last month, the guy drove it in, got out, took the old sticker off, put the new sticker on and handed me a bill. I gladly paid it and drove away.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom