Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Engine rebuild and steering column on my 71

steelycan

Corvette
1971 coupe
Hey Guys and Gals,
While my 71 350 has no serious issues, it does have 84K miles and is blowing a little smoke so I am looking into getting it rebuilt. I would like to bump up the horsepower as it is a stock 350/270. I would like to bring it up to 350/350. Can anyone suggest a very good shop or even individual in the Washington/Baltimore area to have this done? As winter is approaching I am in no hurry so if anyone knows an individual who does this on the side that is fine as well, but I want someone who really knows what they are doing and not some wannabe. The other issue is my steering column. The screws that often get loose in the column need to be tightened up so I want to drop the column and find someone to rebuild it. Locally would be best, but I am willing to send it out to someone as well.
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well as details any of you have on how to gain those extra 80 horses. I have never done an engine rebuild and at this stage in my life I simply do not have the time to do so myself.

1971 Coupe, Steel Cities Grey, 350/270 4 speed.

Thanks in advance!

"Steely"

I can't help you much on the engine (I don't have a clue about the Baltimore/Washington area, but the steering column is pretty easy to DIY- especially if you're planning on removing it from the car. Just get a copy of Jim Shea's steering papers and go. The special tools you'll need are available from most parts stores on a loan basis, or it's a good excuse to buy a couple of tools.

Jim's papers can be found at : Jim Shea’s Steering Papers

Those 4 bolts you have that are loose can be fixed without removing the column from the car. And you get to set down while you work. (that's always a plus!)

thanks!

Thanks Tim. I am a little disappointed in the lack of help concerning my question. I thought I would get a lot more feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I do have Jim's papers. Thank you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom