Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Rebuild

Corvette
2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertable
About a month ago I reported here that the Chevy dealer and the extended warranty people agreed that the piston slap in my 2000 was excessive and that they needed to replace the pistons. The job is now done and it runs great with no more "ticking" when it's cold.

I have discovered in reading previouls posts here that piston slap is a standard in LS1 engines when they are cold but it goes away when they warm up. A technical discussion said it had something to do with the length of the piston sleve and the stiffness of the rings. Still, the normal "slap" was nothing to worry about. Personally, I couldn't tell you when it gets too loud but the experts said mine was. To me it just sounded like a valve lifter that needed adjustment.

They pulled the engine out from the bottom of the car. To do that, the steering and exhaust had to come off. Then the engine was disassembled down to the short block and pistons removed. I'm told the block was okay and the new pistons were much better than the old ones. I'm not sure how, but they said they were coated - which I assume lengthens life.

My car is up on a lift and there are piles of parts underneith and the engine upside down on a stand. I was worried about the box of possible leftover parts when they put it back together. But it runs great and there are no leaks - yet.

In St. Louis, ELCO Chevrolet sells a lot of Corvettes - new and used, and their Corvette mechanic is very good. :)

I forgot to mention that I was told that this work would have cost more than $6000 had I paid for it myself. As it was, my extended warranty paid it all - plus a rental car. There has been discussion here about whether the warranty was worth it and in my case it definately is.

Wow... that's a lot of work and a lot of $$$$! It sounds like you definitely did the right thing by purchasing the extended warranty.

Having it completely apart like that would have made me extremely nervous. I'm glad it sounds like everything went back together ok.

Tammy

I saw Horsepower TV pull an LS1 out of a Camaro and it looked like a lot of work. Actually, I should say that they pulled the car out from the engine!:L

I couldn't imagine myself doing that much work; I would be too afraid of those dreaded leftover parts, which seems to happen to me.:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom