Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Rebuilder in San Francisco Bay Area

Dr_Shakalu

Corvette
1996 White Coupe
Hey everyone. Well, I have a 96 auto coupe with about 145,000 miles and I think it's time for a rebuild. There are other things that I need to replace for a 16 year old car but I want to have it in a better running condition first. It still runs well but the mileage is high. Does anyone know any a reputable place in the San Francisco Bay area that I can trust to do it? I would be willing to go farther than the Bay area. Also, I would like to have more power from the rebuild. I have a budget of $5,000. Thanks, Ed.

Hey everyone. Well, I have a 96 auto coupe with about 145,000 miles and I think it's time for a rebuild. There are other things that I need to replace for a 16 year old car but I want to have it in a better running condition first. It still runs well but the mileage is high. Does anyone know any a reputable place in the San Francisco Bay area that I can trust to do it? I would be willing to go farther than the Bay area. Also, I would like to have more power from the rebuild. I have a budget of $5,000. Thanks, Ed.

Thats not high mileage...

250...300,000 is high miles for a gas engine. 150K is normal unless its using oil.
If there is no oil burning and it simply doesn't run as well as it used to, thats maint & tuning. Fuel injectors, sensors, a good general tune and its as good as new.

Computer controlled engines are not like your grandfathers oldsmobile. Carbed engines of 1970 were toast @ 100,000. Because of the carburator. All that fuel that was wasted not only impacted the atmosphere but it also washed the lubrication off of internal engine parts and caused hi-wear. Todays EFI engines get precise fuel metering so there is no excess to cause this damage. Engines last 2-3 times as long and run twice as good and get double the gas milege.

I'm advising against a rebuild unless its truely necessary because 5K is just enough to rebuild a stock motor.

You can take that 5000 and buy a nice intake, heads, headers, injectors and a tune and be way ahead. OR you can rebuild the stock motor with a valve job, new bottom end bearings, pistons/rings and the rest goes to shop labor. Unless you are burning oil and/or the oil pressure has dropped to 6 psi at warm idle, I'd spend on the top end and run the block another 100,000. THEN buy a new short-block and take these nice intake parts that you buy this time and install them and you're good for another 150K. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom