Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine removal

schweng18

Corvette
81 Frost Biege
Hello Folks

I am about ready to remove my baby's engine so I can replace the front seal in the transmission and detail the engine comparment. Does anybody have any words of advice, tips and/or tricks that would make this experience more enjoyable?

Thanks

Dave

If you can remove the engine and tranny together: you"ll have to remove the front left or right side tire to fit most engine floor cranes: take pictures of everything before starting: label every part hardware (sandwich bags work good).

GerryLP:cool

I take this is an automatic transmission, I pulled the transmission off first and then pulled the engine. I also detailed my engine compartment. I did everything by myself, so I knew there is alot of trouble getting the radiator and shroud back in a 76 in without damaging anything. I put the new alum radiator in, put the shroud in which was still a pain because of getting the shroud to clear the passenger side upper a-arm(which i took off to ease the installation). with the condensor installed, I dropped the engine in then. I had no problem dropping it in by myself with the radiator in place. Then I brought the transmission in from underneath, again by myself without a trans jack, just a large floor jack. No problem, had everything clean and bolt holes tapped out so everything went together easy. I know it took more time and effort, but I wanted to do it myself. I am now rebuilding the power steering ram and power valve, and detailing the tie rod sleeves and ends. New headers added to the clean looks of the detailed engine compartment as well as a new dual 2 1/2 exhaust system. Interior has been detailed including repainting of the center consoles and guage console.

Thanks for the advice, Gerry I can only assume that you have to pull the radiator to remove the tranny with the engine?

Thanks for the advice, Gerry I can only assume that you have to pull the radiator to remove the tranny with the engine?

Yeah, I removed mine to just remove that fan shroud which is annoying as hell when working there. Remove the fan (store fan and clutch with water pump side on top of a bench or other surface to avoid liquid leak from the clutch). Then remove the radiator, and then the shroud.

I actually did everything in about 2 1/2 - 3 hours, but I did not take as many pictures as I should have. Attach the chains to the head accessory bolt holes, and use grade 8 bolts (Home Depot have them). Once out, I used a tranny jack for separating the tranny from the engine. Then I basically disassembled the engine external parts until I could attach it to the engine stand (again, grade 8 bolts).

During the entire rebuild, I tried to not rush anything, and basically told myself that it was therapy. In that respect it was very helpful. For example, on a Friday night, I would pop a beer open and just remove the next component until I felt like stopping for the night. It takes a long time, but it is good wrenching.:beer

The engine and transmission are out! Thanks for the tips and advice.

On a side note, I am wondering if there is a aftermarket header made that will fit the original exhaust scheme.

I agree, the problem I have is that nobody here will install one because of the emmision control

What are you going to need to pass emmision inspection??, I know they can put o2 sensors in headers, any thing else neede?? A good exhaust company should be able to conect to existing exhaust.

What are you going to need to pass emmision inspection??, I know they can put o2 sensors in headers, any thing else neede?? A good exhaust company should be able to conect to existing exhaust.

Guys...... back "in the day" I had my full length Black Jack headers tapped and welded the plug for the O2 sensor on the left lower collector. It will work fine. The headers made a big difference in the performance (and sound).

........ nut

I don't need to pass an emmision inspection here in ND, but by law the exhaust companys aren't allowed to work on emmision controlled vehicles without a catalytic convertor or remove the convertor.

I don't need to pass an emmision inspection here in ND, but by law the exhaust companys aren't allowed to work on emmision controlled vehicles without a catalytic convertor or remove the convertor.

MD is the same way however, I had a shop recommended to me that said they be happy to do whatever I wanted if the car came to them and the converter just "happened" to have fallen off along the way.

Good luck............. nut

Don't you just hate it when emissions junk just falls off of your car for no good reason?;LOL

I'll have to see if I can get a recommendation like that here. Thanks great idea!

I'll have to see if I can get a recommendation like that here. Thanks great idea!

Does anyone know how the engine will run or what will happen if I remove all of the emission controls, EGR, vacuum pump, etc.?

Does anyone know how the engine will run or what will happen if I remove all of the emission controls, EGR, vacuum pump, etc.?

It will run just fine...however, you'll need a non-computer distributor and a non-computer Quadra-Jet or other carburetor.

That engine harness running along your passenger side valve cover will be disconnected and removed off the engine as well (better set it aside for safe keeping in case you change your mind later). Same with all the other stuff you disconnect.

You best opt to keep the evaporative cannister. Otherwise, the fuel fumes will become annoying.

That's it! You can pull the ECM bulb or fuse and keep it from flashing every now and then.

Take images before you pull all the stuff. Again, in case later you want to return the car back to near stock condition. Keep all the stuff as well.

If the L81 engine in it is not the original one, then just chuck the whole thing and install a GM 572 big block...:L ...:_rock

What if I just remove the smog pump and cap the tube from the catalytic convertor and the lines off the headers?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom