Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine stops

schweng18

Corvette
81 Frost Biege
Hoping someone can help me with this. My 81 has developed an issue, the engine just stops, if it is idling and it happens it just dies, no stumble no nothing, kind of like it is losing spark. If I am driving at the time it happens, the motor stops but will come back in about a second, seems like the same thing, just dies for a second then comes back. This problem is starting to occur more frequently.
Anybody have any experience with this or where to start?
Thanks, Dave

When this happens, what goes on with interior lights, radio, dash warning lights, heater blower, etc?

I would start with making sure all the electrical connections are crud free and tight..

start at the starter

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Where would one go after that step?

Make sure you have good battery connections. (positive and ground) Don't just retighten, take off cables, clean them and make sure the bolts turn freely. sometimes the bolts bind in the terminal and feel tight when they aren't. as always pay attention to the grounds. this is a vette after all. I think you will find the starter connections are your problem though. lots of heat and water down there for corrosion.
Good luck!:thumb

Sorry guy, that was a misdiagnosis, I was trying to go off of memory from October. The engine is the only thing that stops, everything else stays on. I fired her up today for the 1st time this year and diagnosed it. The engine does not stumble or anything just stops. I hit the ignition and it fires again runs for a while and stops again. No specific time between kills, it varies greatly. Just need to find the cause.

Dave,

Do you have a service manual? There is a good engine electrical diagnosis section. I had the same problem a few years ago, not on my vette but on my truck. The enging would just shut off. Some times it would start right up and sometimes it took several minuets. One day it stalled and wouldn't start at all. Turned out to be the pickup coil in the distributor. Have you ever worked inside the distributor cap? While your in there you could pull the HEI module and take it to your local auto parts store and have them test it also.
Steve

either it isn't getting gas,or it isn't getting spark.chances are it one of those 2 things.

Dave,

Do you have a service manual? There is a good engine electrical diagnosis section. I had the same problem a few years ago, not on my vette but on my truck. The enging would just shut off. Some times it would start right up and sometimes it took several minuets. One day it stalled and wouldn't start at all. Turned out to be the pickup coil in the distributor. Have you ever worked inside the distributor cap? While your in there you could pull the HEI module and take it to your local auto parts store and have them test it also.
Steve

Thanks, sounds like the same issue, I will start there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom