Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Enjoyed a nice ride on a flat bed wrecker tonight!`

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Yep, the sweet high polished 100 amp one wire alternator died on the 69 tonight on the way to a local cruise in. Just before we hit the interstate, Nikki glanced down and noticed the volts were way low. I grabbed the computer scanner and toggled through to find it was reading 10.5 volts!

We pulled over, where I popped the hood and noted all looked fine. Went to restart, and it was a no go. Twenty minutes later, and $45 it is high in the air on a roll back.

Okay, to add insult to injury, the clutch has continued to go down hill. I was noticing just before the charging problem that she is slipping like a big dog when I throttle in.

So, I will be on the phone with March Pulleys on Monday requesting some ASAP help. I will also be calling the Quarter Master tech line to get a feel for this clutch problem (only 400 miles on it) I spent nearly $800 on the clutch/flywheel/hydraulic bearing assembly.

My plan right now is to yank the trans Sunday after church. I have a low mile stock style clutch and pressure plate on the shelf. I may throw that in there to get me through Sharkfest, while I feel the waters out with QM.

BTW, I spent almost all day today prepping my car hauler. I cut the left fender off, then fashioned a bracket and pin system to pull the fender clear so that I can open the driver door all the way when loading and unloading. I almost got to use it tonight, but because I don't have winch, I could not have pulled the car up on it anyway.

Sorry to hear that Chris, but stuff happens, eh? It's better than me though, I don't even know where I stand; my mechanic is keeping me in the dark... And I leave in four days! :eyerole

_ken :w

Geeze that has to suck, the alternator is an easy replacement if necessary but the clutch isn't a 15 minute job.

Ken- what's wrong with yours?

Chris and Ken,

I'm really sorry to hear you guys are having all these problems. It's almost too bad that the Fest isn't next Labor Day, you guys have been fighting time since it was announced.

As much as I want to check your rides out, I'd much rather have you guys be able to enjoy them

Even though mine seems to be fine I wouldn't mind having a solid year to break it in

Ken, you'd better get your mechanic moving! By the time you read this it'll be 3 days!!!

I've been pretty fortunate, since replacing my motor I've only broken the rear spring, replaced the battery, altenator, and voltage regulator. I believe now that I really only needed the battery.

I'm glad now that both of you are trailering your babies to the Fest.

The Fest is going to be the longest trip my Vette will have been on since I've owned it.

Goodluck to everyone coming to the SharkFest, I wish everyone a trouble free trip.

Rick

Geez man, that's a major bummer Chris!:( On the bright side, it's nice to hear that your wife noticed the gauge. Kelly will be the first to admit she has no idea what those things are. Don't worry though, she's learning and will have it all down pat by the time we get her a Vette.

- Eric:w

69MyWay: I'm afraid that you are not going to like the price of the alternator either a buddy of mine had a '90 and he paid $160 for a replacement and the guy at the store said that it was a good deal!
I just bought one for my '73 and it was $40... Ah, the good 'ol days.

Good Luck

Just finished changing the clutch and taking her for a ride. I bought a bone stock replacement to at least get me past Sharkfest. So far so good. It releases smooth, and no slip when I toe into it. The Quartermaster was slipping BAD!

I will call March Pulleys on the Alternator. I hope I don't have to buy one. I would guess this one would be at least $150.

So, I will work the phone on Monday, and see how it from there.

Hope things go better in the future with Killer:(
Posse Bro

Tough break Chris, but from what I've read, you of all people can handle it! You swapped out the Clutch in what, a day? It would take me a day to get the car up on jacks and slide my big butt underneath to look at it, three more days to get sick, another day to get it off the jacks, another day to get it to the shop, then pray they could fix it without messing something else up! ;)

Good luck on the alternator, don't take any of their junk, make them fix or replace it right away.

Steve :w

I went ahead and purchased another Alternator from March to that I could have it by the end of the week. They will then have me return the old one for a credit. This will get my up by this weekend.

Talked to Quarter Master. Some great folks there. He said that it is unusual, but they will be happy to review my problem. Of course, it will require mailing the whole thing to them for review. Good thing I went ahead and threw one it it yesterday to be rolling between now and then.

I would assume it would take up to and possibly beyond Sharkfest to get any real answers, or a replacement clutch. They did tell me that for the street the solid center was not a good idea. This is interesting since the first guy I talked to there suggested the exact clutch I have right now.

Oh well. At least we should be rolling by then.

I think next time I yank the trans I can pull and reinstall in less than three hours. It took me about four hours yesterday, but that included driving to Pep Boys for the new clutch, talking on the phone, and taking a few breaks to surf CAC.

BTW, having sidepipes makes all the difference. I have virtually all the room I need down there to access the assembly.

At least I'm not the only one with mechanical problems. :bang My control valve and control cylinder are both rebuilt and ready to go. However, it seems that Autozone is having a hard time getting me a power steering pump that functions. The first one did not circulate, then the second one had a bulging seal, so it leaked horribly and the pulley was extremely easy to install and remove. I am expecting my third pump on Tuesday. (again) It is a pity, because I waste so much P.S. fluid, and it is so messy!

Cheers though!:_rock I sucessfully installed a new transmission pan gasket, and also cooling line hoses, new fluid and NO leaks. I was curious if the new front and rear seals I installed would leak or not. (why should I doubt myself? hehehe)

I also located a piece of exhaust pipe which I thought I threw away. I just need to make a thin gasket (out of a can) and my exhaust will be back in business.

If I can get the power steering thing done, then I can have fun and start reworking the interior. (waiting to buy heat insulation.) Check out the latest interior pic!

Vic,

Is all that orange in the interior light surface rust? If so, do you have any plans to make it go away?

While you were redoing your power steering components did you look at the steering gear and rag joint? Mine has a slight "feel" to it and I think that is my next step after rebuilding the suspension. I would love to find an excuse to go with that Steeroids setup but will have a difficult time justifying it considering the steering gear is under $200 just about everywhere I have seen it.

I also found this link by Hib Halverson on the steering gear.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/bbfh8.htm

A lot of good information including a vendor that is supposed to rebuild them to better than original specs for less than the cost of a new or rebuild.

Bob

My rag joint is in perfect shape! (I changed it about 6 years ago, and it's been garage kept and barely driven.) I believe the steering gear is OK, but I am not sure, because the last (few times I drove the car, the power steering pump was in the storage compartment. (I have been plagued with power steering pump problems!)

Fortunately, the orange you see is not rust, but overspray from the car's lovely and original orange paint-job. It was repainted blue and silver by a previous owner, and I'll paint it blue and white.

I'm getting excited more and more, because I can finally start to work on the parts of the car that gets seen by others. Everything else that I've done is hidden.

I won't purchase insurance just yet. Maybe sometime next year. However, I'll hopefully take it around the block by the end of the month, or at least for my b-day (in September).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom