Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Epoxy Coatings on Garage Floors

vethead,

I bought my epoxy from the local Sherwin Williams Paint store. I went there asking all the questions that I could think of. (I don't think that you can over-research....I do the same thing on just about everything I do.) I told them what I wanted to do, and they actually tried to talk me out of it because of getting the taping right. They sold me the materials any way. When I stopped by with pictures, they were almost speechless at the results. They still send people over to ask questions about how I laid the squares out. The total cost in materials were about $350. The real cost in my mind was the time invested in laying it all out; it took about two weeks of working every hour I could in the evenings of taping it off. I drew quite an audience as well from the neighbors "walking their dogs" I did not know there were so many dogs in the neighborhood! My house is the first one in the subdivision, so everybody drives past on their way home from work, and got curious as to what I was doing. They would see me laying flat on the floor eyeing how straight the lines were that I had laid out.

How I got started laying the square out was I found the very center of the room by measuring. Then I laid a tape down from end to end crossing the center. This became my line of reference. I laid out the squares working from the center out. I was just using a 2-foot roofing square as a taping reference. Since I use just the one tool, as I laid the tape out, sometimes when I would put the last tape down for a particular square, it would not be at a true 90 degree to the first angle. I had to keep going back and forth relaying the tape and trimming it with a razor, then I would tape the paper in place where the white square was going to be. After I finished taping, I spent another day just going over each square to make sure it was at a true 90 degree. There were some areas that were very close, but I thought they would not be noticed, so I let them slide. After painting, they became more obvious to me. Most people try to look for them, but cannot find them until I point it out. It really not very obvious, it’s just that I know they are there. They key to making it not so obvious is to make sure all of the corners are touching. If the line is out of square, it is unnoticable unless you stand back and look down the entire line and see it veer one way or the other.

As far as pulling the tape up, what I did according to the advice from Sherwin Williams is as soon as I rolled the paint on, I started pulling the tape up at the end where I first rolled the paint on. By the time I was pulling the tape up, the paint had set maybe 20 to 30 minutes. They had told me if I let it stay down until the paint was dry that when I did pull the tape up, it would also pull up some of the paint. So when I did pull the tape up, the paint was still fresh enough to let go of the tape, but cured enough to stay in a straight line. No of it ran. I did not have to touch any area up.

Jay,

I highly recommend it, but it is very involved as far as time invested. The paint is rock hard and looks like it will last a really long time. The money invested is pretty minimal considering what industrial tiles cost, and they sometimes crack under heavy workloads.

Bill

Wow, one heck of a reply there Matchframe. Thanks for the great info. You said it cost about $350 do to it, but how many square feet did you do? Is there a specific epoxy paint I should ask for at Sherwin Williams, or do they have one type for this kind of application.

The area I painted was a little over 800 sq ft.

The epoxy I bought was specifically for garages. They said that commercial garages use it, (Just one color...no imagination) and they have to re-paint about every 7 to 8 years. Given that, my guess would be a home garage can go a lot longer.

Bill

That $350 is a good price. I will have 768 square feet to do, and with the tile I was thinking of using it was going to be about $550 for me to put it down. The only thing I was concerned about was the epoxy peeling up, but it sounds like the stuff is really durable. I like the fact it can be mopped as well. Thanks again for all of the help, definitely seems like the route I will be taking. I think you have answered any of the questions I may have, so I will quite bugging you. :D

vethead said:
I think you have answered any of the questions I may have, so I will quite bugging you. :D

I've bugged him more than you and he stills answers my questions. :D

vethead,

67 is right, he and I have had some "Discussions" and we are still friends. I am a pretty easy going guy, so feel free to ask questions anytime!

Bill

Square feet correction

I have a correction to the square feet that I painted the Black & White squares on. Earlier I stated that it was a little over 800 sq ft. That is the total I added to the garage, which includes 3 other rooms. The actual size of the garage bay painted with the checkers is 560 sq ft.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom