Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Epoxy Primer?

L

ltmark

I have had my '85 coupe since 90'. Having recently retired, I am slowly going through it and bringing it back up to snuff. I am proud to say that having raised four kids (and all their cars), I have NEVER had a vehicle in an auto repair shop or paid ANYONE to fix any auto problem. One exception, I don't do automatic transmissions! Too many little ball bearings!

I actually want to paint my '85 myself, but all the VOC stuff has me a little worried. However, is the epoxy primer as harmfull as the paint and clear. There's just something about saying "I did it myself" that has always appealed to me, but I have visons of the VOC police banging on my garage door and my neighbors dropping like fly's from the fumes/odors! At a minimum I'd like to do the prep and primer. The body is absolutely perfect and I have most of the original "Bright Red" sanded off already. As a youngster, I painted several with lacquer, but this new stuff is a little intimidating! Thanx for any response

I have had my '85 coupe since 90'. Having recently retired, I am slowly going through it and bringing it back up to snuff. I am proud to say that having raised four kids (and all their cars), I have NEVER had a vehicle in an auto repair shop or paid ANYONE to fix any auto problem. One exception, I don't do automatic transmissions! Too many little ball bearings!

I actually want to paint my '85 myself, but all the VOC stuff has me a little worried. However, is the epoxy primer as harmfull as the paint and clear. There's just something about saying "I did it myself" that has always appealed to me, but I have visons of the VOC police banging on my garage door and my neighbors dropping like fly's from the fumes/odors! At a minimum I'd like to do the prep and primer. The body is absolutely perfect and I have most of the original "Bright Red" sanded off already. As a youngster, I painted several with lacquer, but this new stuff is a little intimidating! Thanx for any response

Sorry I can't help but maybe one of these may be of assistance:

http://forum.eastwoodco.com/

http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/blah/Blah.pl

epoxy primer is very good. like ppg dp epoxy. but....
DO NOT BREATHE IT!!! :nono it is very bad for you!!!! actually anything that has a hardner mixed with it is very bad to breathe. wear a fresh air resporator if you can. are you using it over bondo, urathane primer is better for that.
good luck and if you have any more questions hit me up.
i do it everyday for a living:w

i have seen several epoxy primed cars that the paint falls off...just finished redo of a 86 vette hood that was done in epoxy primer by a pro vette resto guy who used the epoxy primer and had severe adhesion problems -- the Paint Provider Guy (won't name names for legal reasons) bought a new hood to replace this one, (time i spent to grind off the partial adhered epoxy mess WAS excessive)

for redo i used martin-senour (napa) ''crossfire'' 15222 primer, 56 basecoat, and 15420 clearcoat ... outstanding results..very reasonable price....only problem is that the clearcoat was very slow to ''dust-free'' (maybe my bad due to late night low temps) and will need buffing out to fix a few dust nibs (if i get crazy, could happen)...primer and base are very fast dry with good transfer efficiency, very little odor, even using my antique ''conventional'' siphon cup spray gun.

I would stay away from the epoxy primer. I just looked at a vette I painted 25 years ago. I painted it with DUpont, all dupont products, thinner and all.
The owner of the car is unbelievably happy with the paint job. It was balck lacquer 10 coats, the car has a few chips in it now but no checking (cracking) and grazing. I too was amazed!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom