Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Error Code 34 (MAF Sensor) - 1986 Conv

S

Sando

Hi, Last fall while stopped at a light, the car stalled (1986 Conv). Started up with Service Engine soon light on. Idle was also rough after that. Read out EC (was 34). I replaced the MAF sensor, cleared the code. Service Engine soon light returns w/EC 34. When I unplug the MAF sensor, clear the codes I get an EC 33 which would point to the MAF sensor. Any suggestions on what to do next?

When you replaced the MAF.. did you also replace the 2 Relays for it? One of the relays could be bad. Also check and clean the pins at the MAF to be sure there is a good contact

Good Luck

Well this is solved. The MAF Power Relay was the culprit. When I first replaced the relay I got error code 33 (was 34). Turns out that the GM Service documentation has the Power and Burn off relays switched in the locator diagram. The original relays are the same part number but the replacement Power relay does not work as a burnoff relay. Anyway.. Thanks for the suggested plan of action. Case closed.. ready to roll..

Will Not Run Or Idle Properly

i have had this same problem for a while. i replaced the MAF sensor and it ran like a new car for a couple of days and then the problem just came back. it floods very badly and it will not even idle some times. it misses very bad because of the flooding. the first time that you start it and drive it, it does fine...once you turn it off and start it back up, it will not idle correctly and when you pull it down into gear it dies....i can hold the gas down a little and get it to take off but once you do get took off it takes about 2 to 3 minutes before it even begins running any bit decent....i really appreciate any help that i can get ....thanks

I've had the same problem, keep getting code 32, and 34. I've had 4 MAF's and 3 burn off switches replaced and still runs rough occasionally. Did not know there were two switches, where exactly are they located?

There are 2 relays on the firewall just behind the battery, replace those and clear the codes, see what comes back.

Bad relays can kill a MAF, and vice versa.

Good Lord, I hope you all didn't just assume it was the MAF as opposed to the relays?
Expensive experimentation...
see c4vettes.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom