Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1987 MAF circuit test

Vettetime

I have a 87 that I'm getting codes 33 and 36 so I replaced both MAF relays (burn off and power relays) still getting a 36 code after I start car up again from driving it! And occasionally a 33.
I unplugged harness at MAF sensor and turned on ignition.i checked for volts on the purple wire no volts. I do have ground on the BLK/wht wire. I plugged harness back into sensor and start engine
Then probe purple wire and with car running I have the battery voltage.when I probe the dark/grn wire (censor wire) at idle I have 0 volts.when I ground annolog wire BLK/pink car stalls!
Does this mean ECU has bad circuit for mad?
Any help is appreciated...
Thank you

As you know, you have two faults, one in the MAF sensor circuits and one in the burn-off relay circuits. The diagnostic info for those two faults is too lengthy to repost here.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual? If so, the first thing I'd do is look for the diagnostic and repair information for those two fault codes. If you don't have the Manual, you'd be best served if you got one.

If you unplug the MAF and probe the purple wire, you're not going to see voltage there unless both the MAF power and burn-off relays are closed. The black/white wire is the system ground and a chassis ground. Zero volts on the dark green wire at idle may indicate a faulty MAF or a relay problem.

I could not find a black/pink wire in the diagram for the MAF circuits on an '87. The wires which go to the MAF should be: dark blue for the burn off signal, black/white for system ground, black for analog ground, purple for 12V and dark green for MAF signal

Lastly, if you get an FSM and start diagnosing according to it, you need a 12V test light and a DVM with at least 10Megohm impedance.

As you know, you have two faults, one in the MAF sensor circuits and one in the burn-off relay circuits. The diagnostic info for those two faults is too lengthy to repost here.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual? If so, the first thing I'd do is look for the diagnostic and repair information for those two fault codes. If you don't have the Manual, you'd be best served if you got one.

If you unplug the MAF and probe the purple wire, you're not going to see voltage there unless both the MAF power and burn-off relays are closed. The black/white wire is the system ground and a chassis ground. Zero volts on the dark green wire at idle may indicate a faulty MAF or a relay problem.

I could not find a black/pink wire in the diagram for the MAF circuits on an '87. The wires which go to the MAF should be: dark blue for the burn off signal, black/white for system ground, black for analog ground, purple for 12V and dark green for MAF signal

Lastly, if you get an FSM and start diagnosing according to it, you need a 12V test light and a DVM with at least 10Megohm impedance.

Thanks for the great info I'll pick up a FSM ��

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom