Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ethanol Free High Test Gas............How do we know?

Tommy Almond

Corvette
Maybe it getting colder or maybe it the Jack Daniel but question.......how do you know, or can you trust some of the gas stations that says their hi-test is ethanol free? I live near a major gas tank farm here in Charlotte and I question with so many tankers hauling out of there daily why a load here and there would be ethanol free hi-test. I do not know where the ethanol gets mixed into the gas but doubt it is a the tank farms, more likely the refineries and then sent up the pipeline.......so do any of you have info on that we can trust when a station says ethanol free gas is here?
I've been buying this to hopefully try and keep the Q-jet carb healthy but hate to think I am being fooled if all gas contains some percent of ethanol. :beer

I read a tech reply in Hot Rod or Car Craft several months ago that stated that in most cases only regular gas has ethanol. They stated most premium gas does not. So buying regular or a mid grade where the pump mixes regular and premium would introduce ethanol into your car but using straight premium would not. You may need to research the brand you use or contact the company directly for a definitive answer. I doubt that the C store owner or clerk would know.

I wonder if there is a quick and easy test one could do at home to determine if ethanol is present?

Tom

I read a tech reply in Hot Rod or Car Craft several months ago that stated that in most cases only regular gas has ethanol. They stated most premium gas does not.

Wow- the magazine is so far wrong it's not even funny.:eyerole

By law, the pump must be labelled if there is ethanol in the gas. Having said, that I couldn't be bothered crossing the street to find pure gas. All my cars, bikes and other toys have been running on E10 for 20 years or so, including the Corvette, without issue.

The stories about the sky falling are really out of control. Us old f*rts remember similar panic when the lead was removed from gas. All sorts of predictions about doom and gloom.

You really have to know, and trust the station owner. We have one that has been selling corn-free premium for years, and when he can't get it, he doesn't sell premium. I use pure gas regularin my mower, and no longer have hot starting problems. Hot starting issues are typical of ethanol gas.

Here in OK, the pumps are labeled if they are E10 and many stations clearly advertise on their pumps and signs that they are ethanol free or 100% gas.

I buy 100% gas (I call it "Ezero") as much as possible since I get better mileage from it and the E10 around here isn't enough cheaper to make up the difference for the reduced mileage I get with E10.

Some states require E10 and may not feel the need to label the pump.

Like catbert, my gas can is Ezero also and I do not have any issues with my lawn mower either.

Wow- the magazine is so far wrong it's not even funny.:eyerole

By law, the pump must be labelled if there is ethanol in the gas. Having said, that I couldn't be bothered crossing the street to find pure gas. All my cars, bikes and other toys have been running on E10 for 20 years or so, including the Corvette, without issue.

The stories about the sky falling are really out of control. Us old f*rts remember similar panic when the lead was removed from gas. All sorts of predictions about doom and gloom.

Yeah what Mikey said......I have run E10 for ever in vehicles with several 100K miles on them and never had any type of fuel related problems due to the ethanol. Here in Huskerland just recently they now do not sell a regular grade ethanol free gas. Everything is a E10 rated fuel. I put Shell premium V Power fuel in my Grand Sport and thinks its the best fuel available for high performance engines. Its 91 octane out here and has more cleaners in it then other premiums.....costs more though.....but baby is worth it.....

Here in WA state its real hard to find pure gas. The only problem I have had with e10 is in my gas powered weed wacker. All the rubber parts went south in the fuel system and had to be replaced. Found this on the web but dont know if it very acurate. Fill a tall skinny glass bottle with 1 part water and 10 parts gasoline. Shack well. Let stand for a short time. If no ethanol is present the water will form at the bottom of the glass. Havent tried it yet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom