Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Evap. hose

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
Does anyone know if the evap. hose is supposed to be clamped down? Mine is just staying there with nothing holding it down; its always been that way. Are both sides to be clamped? Just one? Sizes? Thanks for any replies.

-Tatortot

Tatortot,

I juts replaced the evap hoses on the 81, and the only hose that had a clamp was the one from the cannister to the gas tank vent (it connects near the brake proportioning valve and the frame rail). The clamps are yellow in color.

GerryLP:cool

Thanks for the reply, Gerry. I've been taking a closer look lately and noticing some parts that "just aren't right". For example, my valve covers are silver. Some one at some time must have stripped the paint off of them. Oh well, she runs great though!

-Tatortot

Thanks for the reply, Gerry....For example... Some one at some time must have stripped the paint off of them. Oh well, she runs great though!

-Tatortot

I know what you mean. Repainting them will be a nice weekend project (since they're bare and once you gather all the needed stuff), but not a bad project, though. Take a snap shot of the engine to show what everything looks like before beginning the project, and use some 500 Deg paint (Semi-gloss black).

Carburetor cleaner (liquid type) and a nice container that is about 23 inches long and 8 inches wide (this is probably the hardest part of the project -finding a suitable container) can help you dip the covers to clean all those years of oil fume-venting and clean out the baffles. Rinse everything well and dry.

Before painting, prepare the surface with paint thinner, let it dry (or use compressed air), and then paint. Once the painted covers are dry, use an electric or air-powered sander (at work we call them jitter bugs) and fine sand paper, and sand the fins bare. Just keep the jitter bug on the fins and be careful with the fin ends and the cover paint. The covers will look like new. The last thing is to get yourself a new Corvette valve cover sticker. They're usually about $7 dollars in ebay.

This will probably cost you about $45 - 50 dollars compared with $175 dollars per cover for new ones.

GerryLP:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom