Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Evaporative Cannister on '79 Vette

Ghost~3~

Corvette
1985 Blue Coupe
Can ANYONE help with a LOCATION of the Evap Can??? My Brother's '79 "FAILED" the Calif Smog Test...and on the report it stated that it was a problem with the Evap System, and I don't have a Book on a C-3 Vette. Any HELP would be MUCH Appreciated!! :)

Last edited:
Try looking down under the brake booster. It's a black coffee can with a vacuum valve on top. It should be mounted on a small splash pan down under there.

Try looking down under the brake booster. It's a black coffee can with a vacuum valve on top. It should be mounted on a small splash pan down under there.

Thank's SVO!!...I'll give it a Look in the AM!! :thumb

It's been a while, but I believe that there is also a plastic valve assembly that's located by the gas tank that is part of the evap system. There is a metal line that runs down the driver's side frame rail from the charcoal cannister at the the front to the gas tank. There are a couple of vacuum lines that connect the metal line to the valve and the gas tank. Also remember that the gas cap is also part of the evap system.

HTH

Bob

Thank's SVO!!....We jacked up the car, pulled the L/Frt Wheel and got to work and it was a "SOB" to access that Evap tank, but we did FIND the Problem!! :thumb A Rotted/Broken Rubber Hose from the metal Line running down the left Frame Rail to the gas tank, The Hose was Broken, in HALF right at the Evap tank. Getting that hose "OFF" the Tank is a REAL "SOB"!! There is a "Spring Clamp" that holds the hose onto the tank and ya gotta pull the EVAP tank loose to get to the clamp..."Loads of "FUN"!! :hb:hb:rotfl But we got it off and made the swap! I'll keep the other stuff ya mentioned in MIND...Just In Case!!!! Thanks so much AGAIN SVO!! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom