Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ever Replaced a Coupe's Headliner?

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
Anybody here ever replaced the headliner in the roof panel of a C4 Coupe?

If so, I'm interested in hearing about your methods, materials and results.

Yea, I had the headliner start sagging in my 94. I tried to redo it with a thin foam rubber and a black material that matched the original. Not perfect, and I had about $80 in materials. I was not satisfied so I took it over to an upholstery shop. He was able to get original type foam-backed material and installed it for me.....charged me $65......lesson learned.

Yes, easy job. Go to Jo-Ann fabrics and pick out a material, avoid the stretchy kind. Then a can of spray adhesive and use a pair of good shears although a very sharp razor works best. Comply with all the rules of good adhesion and clean the surface before you start. Lay in the cloth and don't try to stretch it to fit, it will try to come back to it's natural tension sooner rather than later. Don't try to "rub" it into place, rather just press it into place with a ball of cloth so you won't bring the adhesive to the surface.

Good luck.

The roof appears to be built such that the headliner trim panel is assembled then installed into the roof panel and then the metal frame is installed over that.

However, it sounds like you guys did not disassemble the roof panel rather you used an Xacto knife or equivalent to cut the fabric out of the top then glued new fabric in its place.

Am I right?

IIRC, the material is just "tucked" in on the edges.

A little more to the story, we put the stretchy material in because it was the only cloth with his collage logo on it, just a bit harder to work with. We did do it by tucking it in the seams, saves breaking some hidden catch or plastic part. Plus it was one of those after the game type efforts. Sprayed adhesive in the center staying away from the "tucking" edges about 2". Holding the 4 corners we lowered the center adhesive coated cloth down to center the logo. Folded it back on itself and did one side at a time by laying the cloth out and marking the seam with the back of a blade. We could then lift the marked edge out and trim about 1/8 away from our mark to allow for tucking material. By masking the top trim and tucking edges we sprayed the last adhesive on the un-coated surfaces. With a mixing spatula we tucked the edges in and let it cure.

He only had the C4 for another 2 or 3 years but it always looked good and was quite a conversation piece along with his bath room and his carpet in the pool room.

A little more to the story, we put the stretchy material in because it was the only cloth with his collage logo on it, just a bit harder to work with. We did do it by tucking it in the seams, saves breaking some hidden catch or plastic part. Plus it was one of those after the game type efforts. Sprayed adhesive in the center staying away from the "tucking" edges about 2". Holding the 4 corners we lowered the center adhesive coated cloth down to center the logo. Folded it back on itself and did one side at a time by laying the cloth out and marking the seam with the back of a blade. We could then lift the marked edge out and trim about 1/8 away from our mark to allow for tucking material. By masking the top trim and tucking edges we sprayed the last adhesive on the un-coated surfaces. With a mixing spatula we tucked the edges in and let it cure.

He only had the C4 for another 2 or 3 years but it always looked good and was quite a conversation piece along with his bath room and his carpet in the pool room.

Dad, Hib,

I just did the same thing. :beer My liner fell down so I pulled it out of the edges and left the foam backing pad in place.

Last yr I re-covered my dash pad with a faux leather (thin stuff) from the fabric store that the ladies use to make tight skirts and jackets...nice leather grain, not too deep or course. Thin, light and soft. With fabric backing and the women at the store are very helpful... :chuckle (they love to assist a man that has no idea of what he's doing there)

The dash pad was an absolute success so I decided to apply this to the headliner to match.

Laid the panel on a blanket, bought the GOOD spray adheasive..$20 a can,, 3M super 90 hi-strength.
Anyway, laid the fabric in approx place, sprayed an area (8" sq at a time well coated with spray, lite spray on fabric) and just litely pressed the fabric ON the glue, not In the glue. Left the edges for later when I could concentrate on trimming to fit. As Dad describes, worked from the center outward.
Once the majority was in place I trimmed an edge with good sissors to get its shape to fit it with a <1/2" edge overlap that could be stuffed into the edge of the pad. I applied the glue and used a brush-on contact cement on the edges so as not to over-spray the trim. Tucked the fabric in place with bondo spreaders and worked my way around. Nice thing with this fabric is that there is no pattern (random grain) to worry about having a perfect fitment or edges that don;t match. After 3 months on Houston heat and humidity its still there. Matches the dash and I'm considering doing some other interior pieces with the same stuff...maybe the bread box, dash bezels...door panels if I can figure out what to do with the edges...maybe? I'm just bored with vinyl so I'll try anything. I think this material would be best in a non-wear area, so thats a consideration. I used the charcoal black...or smokey black. Nice shade of black whatever they call it.

No trim had to be removed in the roof panel. :upthumbs

It gets much harder to do in sheep skin........

Attachments

• sheep.gif
    sheep.gif
    510 bytes · Views: 178
Thanks to all of you for posting. The information was helpful.

Speaking of top liners I can do this one but it's all the other parts that I got in a box that I need some instructions for. I guess I will get it all right but I would sure like some directions. Please don't tell me about those on youtube, I'm on dialup, it took 9 minutes to upload this image.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 140
It just so happens that I did mine in June.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/John-68/Headliner001.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/John-68/Headliner006.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/John-68/Headliner009.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/John-68/Headliner010.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/John-68/Headliner011.jpg

I first bought some black felt like material at Jo Ann Fabrics but was not happy with the idea of the glue soaking through it and staining it. Went back to Jo Ann and found some black Naugahyde on sale for $5.00 a yard. Used it and some spray adhesive to put it on the backer. I then used liquid nails to fasten the backer to the roof panel.

I think the pictures may help with Boomdrivers information on how to do this job.

My total cost was less than $25.00 for everything.

Attachments

• Headliner 003.jpg
    Headliner 003.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 124
Head liner ?

The roof appears to be built such that the headliner trim panel is assembled then installed into the roof panel and then the metal frame is installed over that.

However, it sounds like you guys did not disassemble the roof panel rather you used an Xacto knife or equivalent to cut the fabric out of the top then glued new fabric in its place.

Am I right?

The panel is held on with five Velcro pads. I redid my C4 which has a gray interior, so I got a section of Flannel from a fabrics store and I got it in light gray, but a lighter than the interior. The panel was done in a cheap black nylon fabric, if you want to call it that. Use a can of 3M adhesive #080888 which works great and I've had 11 years now and no sag. But take off the panel and use an epoxy to reattach the panel pads in their points on both the inner and outer panel.

Apply a 15 inch wide layer of adhesive in the middle of your roof panel insert and work your way out in both direction. (This will keep any ripples in the new fabric from forming) You'll feel that it is wet and cool to the touch, but don't worry that's just the adhesive setting up. Your hand WILL NOT stick to the new headliner so long using a good weight flannel Fabric. Once your at the corners, and the fabric is perfect, Let it sit overnight. The next morning go out and trim in straight lines toward the roof panel but not to the edges, keep all your cuts to a half inch of the panels corners and or Until your about three inches of over hanging fabric. Turn the panel over and using the adhesive and scissors fold & tuck the fabric to the adhesive already sprayed on the back of the panel and roll the long sections first and then you almost done, cut and trim at the corners. Just cut enough or about 1 to 2 inches so they will fit over the edge and onto the panel back, You don't want and signs of any cuts in the fabric at the corners.

It takes about a hour doing the corners so that they look perfect. Once done you'll have about two and a half inches rolled over the edge and attached with the sprayed adhesive. And of course, you cut around the Velcro pad on the roof panel, if any of them are loose, use a two epoxy to anchor them. I have found an adhesive at "Home Depot" It is in a yellow tube and is called "Seal-All" but this stuff is the most powerful adhesive I've ever used. And your done. Turn the roof panel over on a good stable surface, I used our washer in the basement covered with a blanket and then reattached the roof panel to the targa top. Good luck, it is a very simple job but it takes time and patience.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom