Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

excavation begins!

ruby76

Corvette
1976 Red Coupe, Saint Louis C3 Shark
I ordered my garage through a local garage building contractor 4 weeks ago. The concrete/excavating crew was supposed to be here the beginning of the week. We left for the weekend today (friday) at about 10AM. Got a call from our neighbor when we were about 2 hours away from home and the excavating has begun!!!!!! That will give me something exciting to come home to! I was hoping to be able to be home when they began so I could take some before and after pictures. Guess I 'll just take a picture of the "hole" when I get home on Sunday!

Jeremy :pat:

Correction, they only "brought" the excavating equipment on Friday. I got home Sunday morning and nothing was done. Went to a Memorial Day parade on Monday, when I got home, the trenches for the footings were dug and the guys were cleaning up a bit. Tuesday, they had the inspection and poured the footings and did rebar work. Im hoping today that they are going to put up forms and pour the pad. Im taking pictures, but have no digital camera. i'll post pics once I get the film developed. I'll likely have ALL the pictures from begin to finish to post at that time.

Keep us updated!
Rain

The 'crete crew came by yesterday and poured the concrete slab. Looks really good. The 5" curb around the outside is a neat feature to keep the sill plates from coming in contact with water if you were to hose out the garage. I can't wait for the next phase of construction.

Glad to hear someone is making progress in the construction department. I've been waiting since April for the rain to stop. It poured Cats and Dogs and Cows this past week. Only thing My contractor has done is stake out the location and measure the grade. One corner is 4" to high.

Good luck

H.D.

we close tomorrow morning.. SO im in search of metal roof and spray insulation guys now.

Heavy Duty said:
Glad to hear someone is making progress in the construction department. I've been waiting since April for the rain to stop. It poured Cats and Dogs and Cows this past week. Only thing My contractor has done is stake out the location and measure the grade. One corner is 4" to high.

Good luck

H.D.

I'd gladly take some of that rain from you if you can figure out how to ship it. My grass looks like a desert. Farmers are having a rough spring here too. The outfit doing my garage pre-makes the wood construction walls at their shop and just erects them on my site. So when they come next week it should take only 1 day to get the garage up. Side some pre-sided to match the house. Then I'll run the electric myself. which reminds me, I have to go check out the requirements of the welder my dad gave me to make sure I wire the outlet right. Don't know how to weld so it will be fun! (except for the very small lesson in Jr. Highschool shop class, but that was a while ago!!!)

I wish I could ship some your way. Went home last week and yep...rained all day Thursday, Thursday night, and half the day Friday:eyerole . Since I had to leave Sat to come back up here it was a nice day:mad . Oh well.

If you plan on running a big air compressor you may need to figure that into your power requirements as well. I plan on having enough box to handle all my stuff (that I haven't bought yet) and then some. That way I don't have to worry about having to get a new box or something to that nature.

Make sure to provide pics when it is done. I'll do the same.

Later

H.D.:w

Just got the good news from the house. The contractor started on the foundation this morning. Spoke with him last night and he plans to have the building up by the end of the month. I guess the homeless signs I hung on the vettes did the trick:D . Now if the the rain will hold off until the concrete is poured and has a good 2-3 days of dry time. Also, the contractor said that he water proofs the underside of the concrete. So i should be able to epoxy the concrete.

H.D.

Don't know how the contractor plans to waterproof the bottom of the concrete, but it's absolutely essential to stop any moisture migration so you have a permanently dry floor surface to coat. I used 10-mil poly on the tamped soil as the primary moisture barrier, then laid 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheets of high-density closed-cell foam with heavy foil on both sides on top of the poly barrier as insulation and a secondary moisture barrier before pouring the floor. Had it epoxied three months later (five years ago), and it's still warm and dry, and the epoxy still looks like it was coated yesterday. :)

JohnZ said:
Don't know how the contractor plans to waterproof the bottom of the concrete, but it's absolutely essential to stop any moisture migration so you have a permanently dry floor surface to coat. I used 10-mil poly on the tamped soil as the primary moisture barrier, then laid 4' x 8' x 1/2" sheets of high-density closed-cell foam with heavy foil on both sides on top of the poly barrier as insulation and a secondary moisture barrier before pouring the floor. Had it epoxied three months later (five years ago), and it's still warm and dry, and the epoxy still looks like it was coated yesterday. :)

You are right and did mean to say moisture proof. I know he is using the poly stuff. I don't think he is going to use any closed-cell foam since we don't have the winters like you guys do up in the North. And I do know what that is like.

H.D.

Heavy Duty said:
You are right and did mean to say moisture proof. I know he is using the poly stuff. I don't think he is going to use any closed-cell foam since we don't have the winters like you guys do up in the North. And I do know what that is like.

H.D.

So if you don't have any moisture barrier then you can't use epoxy?

ruby76 said:
So if you don't have any moisture barrier then you can't use epoxy?

I guess. From what I have read here about the different floor epoxies is that if you don't put some kind of moisture barrier under the concrete, over time the mositure works its way through the concrete and is trapped under the Epoxie. Which then begins to lift off the floor:eek . I claim not to be an expert in this field, just what I have read here. So, It sounds as though that placing a moisture barrier (10 ply poly plastic sheeting) under the concrete is the way to go if you plan on using some sort of floor paint/epoxy/tiles to cover the bare concrete. Even if you don't plan on covering the concrete, my contractor says that it will cut down, or stop the concrete from sweating.

H.D.

I have in-floor heating. I put a "bubble-wrap" like insulation under my concrete.
I would do this even if I was not heating the slab.

Excavation begins for the new home for the homeless vettes:upthumbs .

attachment.php

Footers for the concrete slap.

attachment.php

The site.

attachment.php

The Job foreman and boss of the project. Believe me he is watching to make sure the job is done right.:D

H.D.

Sorry. See if this works.

H.D.

I didn't even see the red X before... Now all three pics are there.

Are you planning to pour your floor above grade? ie: a layer of gravel inside the foundation between the earth and the concrete slab

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom