Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Excessive Rear Wheel Hop and banging ??

D

Dr C5 Corvette

;help I am Looking for the solution to this problem. My 2000 FRC under hard acceleration in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. The rear tires hop violently and cause a banging sound against the chasis or something. I had a forum member in the car and he told me that he thought there is something wrong with my shocks or suspension. I have zo6 wheels and goodyear F1 non runflats all around. He said all 3 of his C5's never did that even at the Track. so any suggestions would be helpful................ Thanks Dr C5 Corvette

;help I am Looking for the solution to this problem. My 2000 FRC under hard acceleration in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. The rear tires hop violently and cause a banging sound against the chasis or something. I had a forum member in the car and he told me that he thought there is something wrong with my shocks or suspension. I have zo6 wheels and goodyear F1 non runflats all around. He said all 3 of his C5's never did that even at the Track. so any suggestions would be helpful................ Thanks Dr C5 Corvette
I'd be checking the Rear Differential Mount!! It won't let it clear Loose,But it will Bang Like Hell and Wheel Hop if the Rubber is broken!!!:upthumbs

Thank you, I will check rear diff mount, can you tell me where it is located? And is there just one or more. Where can I find a diagram or an exploded view so I can look at where it is? Is this something thats need a dealer to do or just get it up on my mechanics lift and look?

Thank you, I will check rear diff mount, can you tell me where it is located? And is there just one or more. Where can I find a diagram or an exploded view so I can look at where it is? Is this something thats need a dealer to do or just get it up on my mechanics lift and look?
I do it on Jack stands It's in the rear right in the middle of the rear suspension cradle under the differential,2 nuts bottom of cradle. Block of 2x6 on a floor jack under the transmission and raise it about 2 inches or a little more, just don't push it through the floor!!Remove the other 2 bolts out of the differential and remove the mount!! It's about 5x2x2 in. It's not a Mean Job!!:upthumbs

Thanks Junk, one more question Is there an upgrade to this mount eg: Poly or do I just replace the rubber or the whole mount from GM Thanks........... Dr C5 Corvette

Thanks Junk, one more question Is there an upgrade to this mount eg: Poly or do I just replace the rubber or the whole mount from GM Thanks........... Dr C5 Corvette
I just got one at Parts Plus here in town they had it the next morning!! I don't remember the price,but it was less than $40.00:upthumbs

I just got one at Parts Plus here in town they had it the next morning!! I don't remember the price,but it was less than $40.00:upthumbs

Hi gmJunkie, are you refering to the diff dampner or the rear trans mount. the service bullitin is for the rear trans mount (which I called the diff mount)because it bolts to the diff and cross member 4 bolts.. 2 top 2 bottom or is it something else cause my cost is $85.00 wholesale list $115 and the diff dampner is more like $40. could you let me know or if you have a picture or part number for me to confirm :W Thanks Dr C5 Corvette

Hi gmJunkie, are you refering to the diff dampner or the rear trans mount. the service bullitin is for the rear trans mount (which I called the diff mount)because it bolts to the diff and cross member 4 bolts.. 2 top 2 bottom or is it something else cause my cost is $85.00 wholesale list $115 and the diff dampner is more like $40. could you let me know or if you have a picture or part number for me to confirm :W Thanks Dr C5 Corvette
Yes I'm referring to the Mount!!!!!As to why it is higher there I don't know,other than difference in region and it's been about 3 years since I've had to put one in!!! I know that Wholesale on a Rear Qtr panel for a C5 has went up over a $120. in the Last 4 years from $246.40 to $368.22,I just bought on for my Z06 and everything has went up Big time!!;shrug Is your mount broken,all it can do is get real Loose it has a metal stirrup in it so it can't jump clear off the mount,But it can sure Bang around in there!! You should be able to Feel it in your shifter some if it's broke!!:upthumbs

OK THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT, JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE WE HAD THE RIGHT ITEM. THE GM PART#22178940 REAR TRANS MOUNT WHICH BOLTS TO THE DIFF AND CROSSMEMBER (GO FIGURE GM) THERE IS A SERVICE BULLETIN ON THIS MOUNT FOR WHEEL CHATTER AND HOP! THANKS JUNK

I have that problem with the rear wheels hopping on hard acceleration. I read a few threads from Ranger whose like a drag racing expert and from what I've read the wheel hop is normal for a C5.

I seem to be incorrect from what I'm reading in this thread....but again its my understanding wheel hop is a normal factor in these designs...

I've read its important to work around the parameters that occur when accelerating...ie...change up or down lauch rpms to avoid the hop..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom