Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust bypass system

dtaz

Corvette
1963 Black split window
In 2008, I bought one of those aftermarket remote units that cycle the muffler bypass from on to off. The other day it kept going to loud, even hitting the remote it woukd stay quite for only a few seconds. I removed the remote system and returned everything to stock. Now when I start the car, the exhaust bypass stays on loud, and never goes to quiet. I checked the vacuum actuaters at the mufflers and they are both getting vacuum which is telling the unit to stay in bypass. Would a battery disconnect help? 2008 Vette, Thanks, Frank

First of all, when there is vacuum at the two actuators, they will close not open.

If there is a system failure, the valves stay open and you may see a warning message on the DIC.

Battery disconnect might help, but I doubt it

To troubleshoot that system, you need a dealer-grade scan tester. If you don't have that, I'd take the car to a dealer or independent Corvette service shop with the appropriate diagnostic equipment.

So you are saying that it is a fail"loud" system. Blown fuse or module problems would keep the baffles open. I see no warning messages and will see about having a scan done. Thanks, Frank

So you are saying that it is a fail"loud" system. Blown fuse or module problems would keep the baffles open. I see no warning messages and will see about having a scan done. Thanks, Frank

Fail "LOUD" is exactly how mine failed back in 2012. One, just one, of the vacuum diaphragms failed and that caused a loss of vacuum at the muffler. Both sides opened up and my Vette was LOUD for a week, until I could get it to the dealer.
I didn't get any warning messages, just LOUD exhaust.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom