Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust Filler Plates- Low Dollar or High?

Corvette
2002 Yellow Z06 (sold); 1999 Pewter FRC (sold)
I was perusing Mid America's online store when I noticed they have the billet aluminum exhaust filler plates on "sale". (here).
..."Sale" meaning $80 bucks off the regular price, but they are still $299 :eek

These things look good, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $300 on something cosmetic.

I know I've seen cheaper plates around; my question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of cheaper vs. more expensive?

What are you guys using, and what do you like/dislike about them?

Tammy

Tammy,

I went for one I found on Ebay $35 with the shipping. It is CNC machined polished aluminum and attaches with 3M trim tape. Very happy with the way it looks.

Take a look at the exhaust plates offered by West Coast Corvettes. These are the best looking for the money in my opinion. They are made from solid billet aluminum and incorporate the actual Corvette emblems. I have the 50th AE version on mine. Prices run about $170 - $180 as I recall. Like you, I could not bring myself to spend $300 on one of these plates. WCC had the answer for me. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out WCC.

Is the difference in price because the cheaper ones are taped on and aren't "billet" aluminum, and the expensive ones are, and are bolted on? It doesn't seem like these things really need to be billet aluminum, since they're just for looks and not function, right?

Does anyone ever have problems with the taped-on ones coming off?

I think it is all personal preference. I personally think the $25.00 plates look cheap. The bolt on plates cost the most becuase they are bolt on. Also, If you have an aftermarket exhaust, this can present some issues for the bolt on type. The WCC plate gives you billet at a moderate price and is attached with heavy duty 3M double sided emblem tape; the same type used for the body side moldings. It should not come off once installed. If you want something that looks fantastic, you will be very happy with the WCC plate. I love mine and have received many complements on it.

jcsc12, thanks for clearing that up. Since I don't have aftermarket exhaust now, but one day... maybe, hopefully... I definitely don't want to spend big bucks on something that may not fit later.

I went with the "cheap" single plate with double sticky tape. The $300 units are thick but are personally too thick for my tastes. The unit is stainless and looks good with my B&B Tri Flows.

Enchancer plate at Ecklers.

Rear of my 99:

attachment.php

Leon

jcs712 said:
I think it is all personal preference. I personally think the $25.00 plates look cheap. The bolt on plates cost the most becuase they are bolt on. Also, If you have an aftermarket exhaust, this can present some issues for the bolt on type. The WCC plate gives you billet at a moderate price and is attached with heavy duty 3M double sided emblem tape; the same type used for the body side moldings. It should not come off once installed. If you want something that looks fantastic, you will be very happy with the WCC plate. I love mine and have received many complements on it.
Yep, there are cheap ones out there, mainly the thin stainless steel ones. The one I have is billet as well, cut on a CNC machine and really looks like it came there from the factory. The logo is a correct size genuine too.

"cheap" is always good for me, as long as it doesn't look bad.

I like those stainless under $100 versions. Thanks for the pics, everyone.

Cruzer, does the carbon fiber one go on with tape? will it fit z06 exhaust tips?

I went with the flat one (cheapo 35 dollars) last time on my last vette.

I would highly recommend the rolled exhaust plate that sells for about a hundred dollars.

Thats what I would do if I were putting on a new plate on my present Z.

Good luck

JB

It goes on with tape and fits with any exhaust system, comes in several colors and with any emblem (crossed flag silver or black, 50th, or Z06), I will include the emblem at our cost.

Our web site is not finished yet but you can see some of the stuff we are working on.
www.leftcoastinnovations.com
Thanks,:w

Is it better to get a car color or go black carbon fiber?
The RED and the BLUE look good with silver emblem, most others are best with the Carbor Fiber look. The Carbon Fiber look comes from the fiber being black and showing through the resin which holds the colored dye. This give it a nice 3D look because there are 7 layers of fiber in every part. I'm having a bunch of pictures shoot tomorrow for the web site, if you want I can email them to you or whoever.
:beer :w

MY email is JBsC5@optonline.net and I'd like to see the black carbon fiber look. I'm pretty sure I would go without the emblem all together( believe it or not. )

Thanks

JB

check out killafilla.com they also have an illuminated fillas that says c5 or zo6 in 2 or three differnt colors in the center i have seen them and are a quality product ;) steve

I went with the Mid-America american flag design plate. Polished stainless steel, 40 bucks and is held on with 3m tape. Been on there 2 years and no problem. I've gotten alot of compliments on it. The stars and stripes look like their gluded on the plate so it has a raised look to it.

Exhaust Filler

Got mine from Ecklers 40.00. Stainless Steel, stuck right on. To me it looks great.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom