Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

exhaust opinions/suggestions wanted

Highway Man

Corvette
1992 Black on Black Coupe
First off I am not mechanic and I have read a lot of the posts here about some of the exhaust system do's and don'ts and I will share what I have done to the exhaust on my 92 LT1 and then whoever wants can chime in and tell me if I have done a good thing or am I just spinning my wheels (no pun intended). The exhaust was in stock condition when I got her and the first thing I did was to take off the stock mufflers and have a set of magnaflow mufflers installed. This was not a cat-back set up but the kind where you cut the stock exhaust pipe about 5 inches above the muffler and install the complete Magnaflow unit in place of the stock muffler. With this addition I could tell a difference in the performance of the car. My next change was to add a three inch flowmonster x pipe as far forward as I could in place of and removing the stock resonator. Both additions made the car run louder which prompted me to install some sound barrier in the rear interior of the car which made it much more enjoyable. Under acceleration the car will definitely get up and scoot and it seems to be breathing much easier however it seems that decelerating there is more rumbling and that the exhaust is loading up on the car but if I get back on it it opens up again and away we go. I would appreciate any feedback and opinions on what you think is going on with the way I have the exhaust set up on my car. If nothing else it may help someone else who may be considering the same modifications! Thanks:w

Sounds about right to me. A lot of the scoot has to do with the sound rather than forward motion at this point, cuz' opening up the exhaust alone adds just a couple horsepower. You need to look at the intake too. Also check out those 19 year old cat to see if thats still flowing OK.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom