Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

exhaust set-up opinions

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
hey all,

I am finally registered/ insured/ and tagged as an antique auto in DE. This means I do not have another inspection!! I was going to re-do the exhaust on the car. I am most familiar with just putting on long tubes, 2.5 inch with H-pipe to some flowmaster 40's ... but i found this set at midamerica:
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=4.36.1293
ANYONE EVER USE IT OR HEAR IT?

also - what exhaust set up are you all using and how does it sound.

-- another quick question - are the side pipes worth the money? If Im right then its just side mount long tube headers with a side mounted pipe with a muffler inside - not a striaght pipe right?

thanks all

-- another quick question - are the side pipes worth the money? If Im right then its just side mount long tube headers with a side mounted pipe with a muffler inside - not a striaght pipe right?
How does it sound? Everyone will probably tell you they love the sound of their respective exhaust. So that's a very subjective question. Me, I like the traditional glasspack sound, so that's what I have. It used to be much louder before I put in the H-pipe. Some days I miss the louder sound, other days I like the new subdued sound.
Best thing you can hope for is to find someone that has a setup you like the sound of and then copy it.

Here's the 'garage' knowledge that I've accumulated over the years from working on my car.

Headers: go for equal length.
** Larger diameter primary tubes will take away some torque, but increase top-end HP.
The opposite if yo go with smaller primaries.

Exhaust: Straight back or side pipes...H-Pipe...X-Pipe
(Don't get 3" diameter. It's too big for stock engines. Stick with 2.25" or 2.5")
** Straight back / side-exhaust will be the loudest. You'll also definitely notice the pop-pop-pop-pop sound at the higher RPMs.
** H-pipe and X-pipes will mellow out the sound as the exhaust pulses from each side of the engine are equalized. H-pipe is supposed to give a little more torque versus straight / side pipes. X-pipe ("crossover") should perform about the same as an H-, however they are a bit trickier for the DIY'er. I've also heard stories about annoying resonances that come in at certain RPM's with X-pipes.
** for side pipes, people here seem to love the chambered exhaust. I know that 78SilvAnnv (and others) have been praising them for years now.
NOTE: Sidepipes are not typically female friendly. Meaning they can be very easy to burn yourself on. Ask 67Heaven about his constant battles scars. And even though I like sidepipes, they hang so low that it's one less place I can jack the car up.

Mufflers:
** There's been plenty of discussions in these C3 forums regarding choice of mufflers. Search the forums (using the search function above) for Flowmaster. People have strong opinions of the 40 -vs- 50 series.
You've also got your choices like DynoMax, Flowmaster, Borla, basic OEM cans, etc.

Im running headers with side pipes they sound real aggressive but not overly so under most conditions.But when ya stomp the loud pedal the attitude defently changes!

hey all,

I am finally registered/ insured/ and tagged as an antique auto in DE. This means I do not have another inspection!! I was going to re-do the exhaust on the car. I am most familiar with just putting on long tubes, 2.5 inch with H-pipe to some flowmaster 40's ... but i found this set at midamerica:
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=4.36.1293
ANYONE EVER USE IT OR HEAR IT?

thanks all

Hey Kevin,

I have that exact exhaust system w(chambered with 2.5" pipes). I think it's great. I'm using the Dynomax ceramic coated headers. I love the sound, but I do get occasional "pops" - particularly when I let up after a hard acceleration... so I'll probably get the H pipe kit from Summit.

I love the sound, but I do get occasional "pops" - particularly when I let up after a hard acceleration... so I'll probably get the H pipe kit from Summit.
That's exactly what I bought. Works well and pretty straight forward installation. All for like $38 or something. I was really surprised at the sound change. Acceleration seems more linear. The sound is more "breathy" or "whispery". More of a steady exhale versus a cough.

144563594_803f0a3863.jpg

144563573_2452f6a4f0.jpg

That's exactly what I bought. Works well and pretty straight forward installation. All for like $38 or something. I was really surprised at the sound change. Acceleration seems more linear. The sound is more "breathy" or "whispery". More of a steady exhale versus a cough.

Yeah, Summit is awesome...
Did you ever have the "pops" I described? If so, did the H-pipe help out?

Ralph

Yeah, Summit is awesome...
Did you ever have the "pops" I described? If so, did the H-pipe help out?
Absolutely! "Yes" had the pops and "Yes" it got rid of them (more or less). That's what I was talking about when I mentioned about kind of missing that sound every now and then. It was a fun attention-getter.
I confirmed this 'physics' thing when I went the opposite way on my motorcycle. I went from a setup where the headers "collected into a 'box' and then back out to two muffers" to a strictly individual pipe for each head. Talk about POP! Holy Mackerel! My bike went from being noticeable to "What the hell is coming down the road?!?!" Literally, if I slowly backed off the throttle, it sounded like a string of M80's going off. The old ones!..not the newer fakies. Like the vette was, just waaay more loud. On the motorcycle it's essentially like open headers. :D :D

Hey Kevin,

I have that exact exhaust system w(chambered with 2.5" pipes). I think it's great. I'm using the Dynomax ceramic coated headers. I love the sound, but I do get occasional "pops" - particularly when I let up after a hard acceleration... so I'll probably get the H pipe kit from Summit.

I have the exact same set up, Dynomax and MAD. A little loud, but I love it!

A few of my friends have this set up and are very happy with it. I took mine off and went with headers ,X pipe and dynomax. I have a crate engine and I guess it was to much motor for the system. The motor needed some back pressure and I was losing torque. Just my 2c.

A few of my friends have this set up and are very happy with it. I took mine off and went with headers ,X pipe and dynomax. I have a crate engine and I guess it was to much motor for the system. The motor needed some back pressure and I was losing torque. Just my 2c.

I am surprised that a 350 crate engine would overpower Dynomax headers and a MAD 2 1/2" chambered exhaust!

I am running a 383 without any problems.

I am surprised that a 350 crate engine would overpower Dynomax headers and a MAD 2 1/2" chambered exhaust!
If he has larger primary tubes on the headers, that could cause a loss of torque. Such as going from Hooker Competition to Hooker Super Competition headers... The Super Comps have larger primary tubes, thus some torque on many small blocks will be given up. I don't know what the dynomax are size-wise.

If he has larger primary tubes on the headers, that could cause a loss of torque. Such as going from Hooker Competition to Hooker Super Competition headers... The Super Comps have larger primary tubes, thus some torque on many small blocks will be given up. I don't know what the dynomax are size-wise.

Dynomax Ceramic coated seem to only have 1 5/8" primary tubes, per their catalog. Mine are 1 5/8", BTW.

Hooker Sidepipes...... collector is on the side of the car... Straight into glasspacks. POPPING? why yes, actually... sounds like a pair of machine guns, and Chubauca! I love it.... I just wish my neighbors felt the same way!:D
flowmaster 40s also sound great, more of a throaty sound, I had them before the sidepiipes.
zachh

Dynomax Ceramic coated seem to only have 1 5/8" primary tubes, per their catalog. Mine are 1 5/8", BTW.
Yeah, if they are the Dynomax Blackjacks, they are 1 5/8", which is the same size as the Hooker Competition headers. The Hooker Super Competition headers are 1 3/4".

If he's keeping his L82 relatively stock, I'd probably suggest either brand with the 1 5/8" primaries. I don't know if he'd like the loss of some low-end torque by going to the larger 1 3/4" like I did. And this loss would be exacerbated if he goes to a full open sidepipe setup.
Also, having the .125" extra space from the smaller headers in the engine bay does make a difference in terms of clearance issues with other items, such as steering linkage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom