Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

exhaust system

M

medicine man

Have a torch red 1997 coupe 36.000.,bought new and am thinking about a magnaflow system. Want a more aggresive sound at idle and launch,but able to listen to radio and converse with passenger while at hiway speeds. Would appreciate all pros and cons on this system or others.

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. I moved your post to the C5 forum, where it should receive more responses to the question at hand. :CAC

I just put the GHL Bullet system on my convertible. It has a muscle car sound when you get on it and a nice sound at idle. When you are cruising at 70 mph there is no resonance. I also put the Magnaflow X-pipe on.

I have the Corsa system with the X- pipe. Its just a tad louder at idle over the stock system and no interior drone in the cab at hiway speeds, but music to my ears at wide open throttle !!!

:beer

I just put on the Borla Stinger four tips. Wife does not like it and commented that she does not enjoy driving the vette as much when it had the stock exhaust (now is this a bad thing? ;)). I like the muscle car sound, but it is harder to have a conversation, and the radio has to be turned up to drown out the rumble at 60-70 mph. Maybe an X-pipe will help out (with the wife's issue of the noise), that will be my next mod.

I think if I had to do it over again I would have tried the Corsa Touring (to keep the peace).

Got the Borlas new shipped @ $660, cost $100 for the local Meineke to put on, had trouble getting on the lifts at Meineke (only one would work and we had to use wood planks to get the car on the last lift without bottoming out).

Left the shop with the tips aligned correctly, a weeks worth of driving and the tips had to be realigned with the 39,000 mile service at the Chevy Dealer, who commented that the exhaust was not legal for a Inspection Sticker (although he put one on it anyway :eyerole). Car is all stock with the Borla Cat Backs...

Cheers
Beer

Big Beer said:
who commented that the exhaust was not legal for a Inspection Sticker (although he put one on it anyway :eyerole). Car is all stock with the Borla Cat Backs...

Cheers
Beer

What would a catback system have to do with inspections? :confused

Edmond said:
What would a catback system have to do with inspections? :confused
As long as you have an emmissions approved muffler, then nothing!

Unless Maine has something against modifying the exhaust at all...which i doubt.

love the corsa tourings:D . mellow at cruise (keeps the wife happy), but bad-a** at wide open. if you want to go more aggressive, a lot of people love the corsa indys...more aggressive tone and still no drone at cruise.:_rock

I seem to have bad luck with the Dealers (Ford or Chevy), I inspected the work done at the 39,000 mile service on the Vette and I found the Hood Light disconnected, now I realize that the mech disconnected the hood light because the hood was up for servicing, but its the detail stuff (like reconnecting it) that I expect the dealer mech to do :eyerole . Oh, the service writer during the 39,000 service told me that they don't have the good tire machine for balancing...

I put 31" Tires on my 2001 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 a few years back, the Ford Dealer refused to put a State Inspection Sticker (but charged me because they looked at it) on the Truck stating that the ABS requires a certain size tire to function properly, and that I exceeded the safe tire size with the 31" tires. I ended up at a gas station that promply put a sticker on with the routine checks. Traded the Supercrew for a 2004 Avalanche this year :D .

There is nothing illegal about my catbacks on the Vette.

Now if I could only find a good Chevy Service Center in Maine...

Cheers
Beer

Big Beer said:
I seem to have bad luck with the Dealers (Ford or Chevy), I inspected the work done at the 39,000 mile service on the Vette and I found the Hood Light disconnected, now I realize that the mech disconnected the hood light because the hood was up for servicing, but its the detail stuff (like reconnecting it) that I expect the dealer mech to do :eyerole . Oh, the service writer during the 39,000 service told me that they don't have the good tire machine for balancing...

Mistake #1 was bringing your car back to the dealer for service.:L:L:L Mistake #2 was expecting them to do a good job!:L:L:L

I just installed a set of B&B PRT's on my '98 and I love the sound. Nice idle and WOT, but can carry on a conversation at cruise. Of the systems I have listened to and other vettes I have rode in, this is louder than the Corsa, but quieter than the Borla Stingers. I had the A&A exhaust mod. for a while, but wanted a little more rumble at idle. Stock is too quiet!

rwlc5 said:
I just put the GHL Bullet system on my convertible. It has a muscle car sound when you get on it and a nice sound at idle. When you are cruising at 70 mph there is no resonance. I also put the Magnaflow X-pipe on.

I have the same system. Very pleased. I had the Magnaflows but they were peaky and too quiet. GHL's are excellent.

I think that the noisiest thing on my '97 (my previous 'vette) was the tires and road noise. That was what kept me from conversing at highway speed.

I have the GHL Magnums, a bit louder than the other GHL's - but they are VERY livable at cruise speeds and sound like a holy terror at WOT :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom