Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust Wrap...

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
The subject of heat in the engine compartment comes up every now and then, and Mike's (WhalePirot) comments in another thread, about the benefits he saw when he used a wrap on his headers, caused me to check out Thermo-Tec's site for more information. (I chose Thermo-Tec simply because they advertise weekly in my National Dragster subscription.)

They have everything from
  • EXHAUST INSULATING WRAP
    The original exhaust insulating wrap comes in two colors. Withstands continuous heat up to 2000 degrees farenheight.
  • SNAP STRAP
    Easily secures the exhaust insulating wrap with no tools needed. Made of high temperature stainless steel.
  • HI-HEAT COATING
    Finishes off an exhaust insulating wrap installation. Comes in two colors.
  • MUFFLER/CAT HEAT SHIELD
    Highly flexable MYLAR. Protects your muffler or catalytic convertor from extreme heat.
  • HIGH VELOCITY EXHAUST JACKETS
    Can be installed with the headers mounted. Reduces under-hood temps up to 70%
  • HEADER MANIFOLD BLANKET
    Clips into place on the upper portion of the headers. Protects from heat and spills.
  • TURBO KIT
    Will reduce turbo lag and increase performance. Comes in a cut-to-fit kit.
  • ALUMINIZED HEAT BARRIER
    Multipurpose radiant heat protection up to 2000 degrees farenheight.
  • THERMO-SHIELD
    Aluminzed adhesive backed tape for protecting wires, hoses or any wrappable part.
  • STARTER HEAT SHIELD
    Insulates the starter and solenoid from radiant heat. Installs using snap straps.
  • THERMO SLEEVE
    Laminated high-temp aluminized fabric sleeves to protect your wires and hoses.
  • ADHESIVE BACKED HEAT BARRIER
    Adheres to virtually any surface and provides radiant heat protection.
  • COMPETITION FLOOR INSULATING MAT
    Uses Thermal Conduction Technology to protect the driver from floorboard heat.
  • SPARK PLUG WIRE HEAT SHIELD
    Ultimate protection for your spark plug wires. Reflects radiant heat up to 2000 degrees farenheight.
  • THERMO-FLEX PLUG WIRE HEAT SHIELDS
    Heat protection for spark plug wires. Flexible and radiant heat resistant up to 1050 degrees farenheight.
  • COOL-IT MAT
    Battles excessive heat and noise. Perfect for doors, under hoods and above transmission housings.
  • THERMO-FLEX
    Flexible protection for hoses and wiring. Can be slit for easy installation over existing wires.
  • BATTERY WRAP ACID ABSORBING HEAT BARRIER
    Adhesive backed heat barrier that absorbs battery acid and protects from radiant heat up to 2000 degrees farenheight.
  • COOL-AIR TUBE HEAT SHIELD
    Keep your induction air cool with this unique lace up tube cover. A lace-on fastening system secures it to tubes and blocks up to 99% of radiant turbo and exhaust heat.
  • CLAMP-ON HEAT SHIELD
    Blocks over 98% of radiant heat of the exhaust. Installs in minutes using the supplied clamps.

And one I know some of you are going to like...
  • C5 CORVETTE TUNNEL HEAT SHIELD
    Constructed of Aerospace quality materials. Bolts into place easily and provides heat protection from the exhaust.

Just thought I'd pass that bit of information on. I will definitely wrap the headers next time they're off, but I'm now seriously thinking about getting the "clamp-on" exhaust wrap for the exhaust pipes, from the headers on back. I don't think the muffler wrap would look very appealing from behind a Corvette though, but it would certainly help quell resonance problems if you could figure out how to attach it without it being visible from the rear.

hi ken, i had header wrap on my vette. it works quite well at keeping the heat in. i then read some info stating that "yes, the heat stays in,but the unprotected inner metal causes problems with metal fatigue due to extra heat kept in and moisture buildup. im not sure about this but it made sense to me so i recently got the headers coated by jet-hot. i havent got the car back yet to drive it, im hoping it will live up to expectation
mike

Oh yeah Mike, the "good" coatings can't be beat nowadays; they lower the temps dramatically. :cool

I heard the same thing about moisture and rust, but Thermo-Tec states it isn't a problem. I don't know how it breathes, but supposedly it can. ;)

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom