Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! experience with 2008 Paddle Shift and 2.73 rear end

RichCT

Corvette
2017 Black Rose Grand Sport Coupe
I am ordering an '08 this Spring and would like to know of experiences anyone has had with the paddle shift (supposed to be improved for 2008). Also, did the optional 2.73 rear axle provide more responsiveness, or am I best to stay with the std rear end?

paddle shift usage

To be honest, I seldom use the paddleshift. I experimented with it and found it to be more distracting than it's worth, though it does work as advertised and I enjoy the downshift ability when braking but the upshift is quicker when you just leave it in full auto. If I were really going to run the car to the point where I had to think about rear end ratios I'd go with the manual trans. Just my opinion.

Hi there,
The 2.73 really helps when autocrossing and dragstrip runs.
Other than that, it doesnt really effect the fuel mileage or cruising.
The paddle shift give 3 different modes, D which is your basic relaxing driving where the computer shifts given engine load and demand by the right foot on acceleration.
S, which gives you a firmer shift, faster engagement gear to gear.
Using the paddles, you can custom tailor the shifting to YOUR preference.
It is not any quicker then if the TCM shifts, but you can shift when YOU prefer to.
This calibration for 08 seemed to give better 'speed' to the shifting with the paddles.
Usually, .3 seconds from what I have seen.
You cant lose either way you go.
Allthebest, c4c5

I'd recommend going for the 2.73 gears..

Unless your modding the car with 3.15 rear gears later on..

Personally I'd recommend going with GM's performance choice of the 2.73's..

I also like the Z51 suspension which I believe includes the 2.73 rear gears as part of the package with the Z51?

Good luck and even though I chose the Manual tranny sometimes I wonder if I should have gone with the Z51, A6 and the 2.73 rear gears..

The consistancy of the automatic with computer controls is amazing. The stick shift manual tranny is fun...don't get me wrong...yet I wonder how much more consistant the A6 is... The 2.73 probably gives better rollon highway acceleration than the 2.56 rear gears too...

I say and its just an opinion...to go with the 2.73 gears

I bet its awesome!

Have fun no matter what you decide...

JB

I have gotten some really good insight from the reponses. This was my first post, as I just joined on 1/25. This forum will be most helpful in making final decisions for my JetStream Blue '08 Coupe! I LOVE my '01 Mag Red Coupe, but the engineering/comfort of the C6 has me sold. Thnaks again, all!

A6 Paddle

I bought my 08' in December off the showroom floor. If I had the opportunity I would probably have gotten the 2.73 gears and NPP exhaust option.

I was pretty disappointed when I saw that the gearing didn't have the 2.73 option because I remember the "snoozer gears" in my C4. When I purchased my C5 I made it a point to have the most important option I wanted - the 3.15 performance rear.

Anyway, after telling the sales guy this was holding me back from buying it, he said, "lets go for a ride."
I can honestly say the gearing in the 08' feels more responsive then my C5. Maybe it's the extra gearing, maybe it's the ratio the engineers used?!

From a stand still in first (without power braking) you can almost melt the tires...and thats with the standard rear.

Ask yourself whether or not this is a daily driver or weekend warrior. If it's going to be your daily driver the paddle shift gives you the fun of going up and down through 6 gears when you want to "spank" it! And, getting stuck in stop & go traffic with an auto makes the drive much more relaxing - especially coming home from work.

All my vettes have been my daily drivers but this one with the paddles make it a joy driving around the twisteeeees and, I have more control with both hands on the wheel.

Just another opinion.........
chris

I have 1100 miles on my new 08 c6 a6 with 2.73, it shifts out of second at 80. Keep it straight and leave the nanny on or you will pay. The car has more than enough to toast a c5zo6 or a c6zo6 if they are asleep at the switch. again keep it straight prior to punching it or it will get side ways.

I usuall just leave it in drive and squeeeeze the go pedel enough to make it work, there is more than enough torque to get the job done.

We love our 08 with the Z-51 however the paddleshift is a joke. Leave it in gear and alone and let the computer shift.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom