Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EXPERIENCES WANTED: Driving a C5 Corvette in Winter Conditions

Tony Alonso

Corvette
Currently Wanting on a C7 Coupe (MN6)
Forgive me if this sounds like heresy, but I want to hear about how those who drive their Vettes in snow and slush manage to do. Specifically, I am looking for information on the following -

a) traction with stock EMTs vs. winter tires
b) largest snow depth in which you've been able to drive
c) functioning of the traction systems on snowy/slushy and icy surfaces

Obviously, driving in a blizard would not be advisable, but I live in a city where the winter has very few deep snows and the roads are usually cleared (by rock salt unfortunately).

I appreciate the responses of those who refuse to garage them for the winter!

Yes, we can comment on "winter driving" a C5. We got caught in a blizzard just outside of Rexburg, ID on our way back from Vegas in October 01 (coming home from our anniversary vacation). Our car was completely stock at the time; did not have the Hurst or the 02 ZO6 airbox yet.

We were headed into the mountains towards West Yellowstone, when the rain suddenly turned to snow. The snow was beginning to stick on the road; slush at first, then snow and ice as we climbed higher.

The car pulled very well through the snow; it actually surprised us by how well it drove. We were even able to avoid the large bull moose that crossed the road in front of us:eek

The car pulled very well until..... the snow got deep enough that the front spoiler turned into a snow plow. The road also got very icy at the same point. I could feel the back end begin to twitch as the tires began to slip. Before I could feather the throttle, the TC kicked in and straightened the car out:upthumbs At this point, since we were just at the start of the mountains, we turned around and went back to Rexburg to seek an alternate route home. On ice and starting out (from doing a three-point turn), the Vette behaved like you'd expect - didn't want to go anywhere. Even with the TC on, the rears just spun. After a little coaxing, we got pointed downhill and life was better.

Our alternate route took us on I-15 to Dillon, MT. Had some snow here too, but not as bad. The car drove well, even in a couple of inches of slush. You do need to slow waaaay down; with those large tires and light car, it is easy to start hydroplaning. The ABS worked great as well. However, stopping distances were very long (again beacuse of the wide tires/light car).

Bottom line...the car will perform fairly well if you are caught in a blizzard. You do have to make dramatic adjustments in your driving habits. As long as the car doesn't begin to drag in the show and you keep moving, you can keep going. That being said, would I choose to drive it on snowy/icy roads - NO WAY. The car can handle some of the white stuff, but it does not like it and I always worry about the other idiots on the road that can't seem to drive.

My advice would be that it is ok to drive in the winter when the roads are clear. When you do have snow and ice to contend with, drive a different rig.

:beer

HI there,
When c5 was originally designed, Goodyear was tapped to make the run flat tires. What is not so commonly known, was that they were also asked to engineer a run flat SNOW tire.
This, called the M+S EMT, works excellent in bad weather conditions.
I can also attest to it being fortunate to drive them to Nova Scotia, to deliver a car to a customer. Very smooth and tractable in snow, never getting out of line. Just as what John states holds true, when the snow gets deep, you will start to plow.
Only down side, is that in the dry, the snow tires get quite noisey, and they do NOT hold the road as well when you are on dry pavement. So, with the tradeoffs noted by John and myself, I am sure you will do just fine.
Please let us know if we can assist further, c4c5:hb

The C5's are excellent in the snow; just wait until the roads are plowed. This afternoon I put on the M+S tires that I bought last year. Luckily I have a second set of rims so it was easy. Bring on the snow! :D

I've been caught heading home in NY City in a terrible snow and ice storm in my 99 c5..The cars pretty cool even on the standard runflats..I had on the car..The only thing to remember is start off slow and take it easy..

The real concern was what the other guys were doing out on the road..Its amazing how these 4.x4 owners drive like maniacs during storms..sure enough as you take the slow and steady pace to heart you see these numbnuts spun off the side of the highway in a ditch..

Other than being concerned about some one driving into your car..Throw some snow tires on some used 97 to 99 rims (which sell used on the net for around 250 a set of 4) and enjoy the best sports car in the world.

Rains no problem either..just take it slow.

The corvette is one hell of an engineered sports car..

It even passed the GM test of driving through a 3 foot wall of snow..

Thanks to all of you who've shared so far. The behavior that you each describe would be what I would expect. Also, I too worry about the other folks who seem to not tackle the winter driving conditions in the same way and get themselves into trouble. In my experiences driving on other Goodyear tires (Gatorbacks) in a RWD V8 Mustang, I have been able to get around OK, except for very icy surfaces. To improve the odds I could keep going, I put additional weight in the trunk - two 70lb bags of sand, positioned near the edges of the wheel wells.

I appreciate the input on M+S EMTs, as I was figuring that I would need to factor in those cost of a set of those and wheels if I made the purchase.

I would love to have seen the "snow wall breach" test - what a hoot that would be!

This input is valuable because this is a factor in getting the car as a daily (and I do mean, daily) driver. If anyone has had experience with the stock tires and extra weight in the back during winter driving, please let me know.

Soory, but I have never driven my C5 in snow. Come to think of it I don't drive in snow at all. It does not snow in Southern California, sorry. The worst it gets is a rain storm. We had a pretty good one last week, but I did not drive my C5 at all. I try not to driv it in bad weather.

I absolutely would not hesitate to buy a C5 as a daily driver, regardless of weather patterns. Where you live, you could probably get by without the M+S tires. Remember that, even with M+S tires, the magic number is about 4 inches of snow: deeper than that and spikes on the tires wouldn't even help.

I've driven in snow only once with the C5 Coupe, about 60 miles. (Logged thousands of snow miles in other cars, including blizzards, white-outs, black ice, ice over snow, ice under snow, you name it.)

What was notable about driving the C5 in about 2 inches of snow was that it was uneventful. I was expecting some slippin' and slidin', but the traction control and Active Handling does a great job of keeping it all down near "boring" levels. The car just goes.

A4 owners can select 2nd (tranny starts and stay in 2nd) if the rears start to spin too much. MN6's can do the same thing to reduce torque to wheels.

Don't let the weather influence your decision regarding a C5. These are very capable cars in all kinds of weather (best rain car I've ever driven, period).

This is a special car, without any question, and so there are those who choose to keep their cars out of harms way when the weather turns inclement. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not necessary.

They don't melt in the rain and they will go in the snow. Just apply common sense, keep the speed down and you'll be fine.

Best of Luck.

There's nothing wrong with the car that would prevent driving it in rain or snow, other than the low ride height and clearance issues that can occur when the snow gets higher. The real issue is whether the tires can do the job. Not all tires are created equally, and their ability deteriorates as tread depth decreases from wear. In some cases, having a separate set of two or four wheels mounted with M+S or S tires is useful.

Here in Canada my buddy has a Black 99' Couple which he drives all year long. (Hes not a great driver) However he does have the normal run flat tires on and has had NO problems driving it. With the M-S tire you could only do better!

Any aggresive driving habits you have to lose em. If you keep it nice and granny smith style driving you will be just fine. Unless it snows a foot also your clearance it usually fine to.

Back in the day my Dad had a black 1984 Z51 which we went skiing in to Jasper! Of course we are early risers to the hill and unfortunatly made it to the mountain in front of the sand truck...Whoops hehehe

We went up that mountain sideways! 4x4's were passing us and shaking their heads thinking we wouldn't make it up but we did! Heh...

The real funny part was the ski's on the dash to the back! :L

Thank you again for the comments and experiences, particularly the magic number of '4'. That's probably the most I would attempt to drive in with the car, based previous snow driving in Chicago and downstate Illinois. The winters here in Cincinnati, OH, are less brutal. It's great to hear that others feel confident in the stock EMTs.

Bad Weather Driving

Got a 98 and she is a daily driver year around here in the DC/King George area. Last year wasn't to bad, but like some of the other folks mentioned, it's the other idiots out there, especially some of the 4X4 types that are the real danger.

As for tires, the OEM EMT's worked really well last year in the little bit of snow and slush we got, even though it was getting close to replacement time, but since then I replaced them with non-EMT tires, (which by the way make for a really nice ride and good handling characteristics), but this will be the first time in the snow and ice with new F1's. Hopefully they will work equally well.

Anyway, best advice/input I have is drive super defensively, go easy on the takeoff and all should be ok. Regular trips to the car wash or hosing down the underside is advisable too especially if they use a lot of salt on the roads in your area.

Later,

Rick

Vette001230.jpg

:D :D :D

SNOW TIRES

In "All Corvettes Are Red", they talked about C5s and snow. In one trip involving beta prototypes, a C4, and some competitor's cars, the C5 was the worst in the snow. In the book this was thought to be due to the tires, and Goodyear was to make an EM snowtire.
I drive my '97 A4 in the winter and, as much as I love my car, it is the WORST snow car I have ever driven. I could not get it up the hill to my house a couple of times.
Jim B

One thing I have not seen commented on, is the braking system in the snow. I have had traction problems up hills and the traction control was the only way to move.
However I could not stop for anything, the anti locks just kept popping and would just keep sliding..
at 2 times, I ended up throwing it in reverse just to stop from rear ending someone...
Driving in Snow is possible, but dangerous in a c5:)

wickedvette.jpg

I drove my C5 all last winter. Never had any traction problems with the EMTs. Of course I wasn't pushing the gas pedal to the floor. Deepest show was about 3-4 inches. Here in Maryland we don’t get much snow, but we often have to deal with icy roads.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom