Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Extended Warranty Question/Pricing

chieftam

Corvette
2006 Arctic White Z51 Coupe
I realize this has probably been covered before, but I have searched for extended warranty and GMPP and not found what I was looking for.

We have a 2006 C6 Coupe. Love the car, but we are getting to the end of the three year factory warranty and I am trying to decide if I should be looking to purchase an extended warranty. Thoughts? We only have about 12,000 on the car, and we intend to keep it. It is a Z51, auto, loaded. We have not had any problems yet other than the issue with the binding of the rear differential, but I know there are lots of electronics in the car. Are most people buying extended warranties or just running with what you got?

If I decide to get an extended warranty, I have read that the GMPP is the only way to go. Correct? Is there a good place to buy this to get a good deal? What should I expect to pay?

I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Todd in TX
2006 C6 Coupe Auto

The very low mileage gives me concern to the cost of the warranty per mile for you..

As it sits right now...with the average of 4K miles per year? I'd have to say I probably would pass on the warranty...

Now that I said that youre car will immediately explode..! (KABOOM!)

all kidding aside...consider the extended warranty is an insurance policy that your betting the car will break during the warranty and the insurance company is betting it won't..

I would calculate the anticipated mileage over the next few years..

and then calculate how long you anticipate your going to own the car..

All that said..if you never make a claim and change your mind about the GMPP you can get a pretty decent size refund...

I'd have to say due to this weird economic environment..? If you can still get the warranty and wait until after June 1st when GM goes bankrupt.. (possibly) I don't know what the effect of the bankrupcy will be on the GMPP warranty coverage..

that would be my concern and if you can wait till after the dust settles it might be a good way to go..

If you can't wait because your original warranty is expiring...then by all means if you feel you want it...

Get it..

I usually calculate the per year basis of the extended warranty coverage...

fwiw..I'll probably get the coverage when the time comes on my 2008 corvette...and I see I'm driving about 10K miles a year..

I'll probably go with a zero deductible because its just easier to deal with...

I did the 200 deductible GMPP warranty on my 99 and zero on my 01 Z..

I think the zero deductible was the better deal on that trouble some car...

In the 11 months after the extended warranty expired...I dropped like 8 grand on servicing the car (transmission/differential etc).. and then the motor blew...and I sold off the motor less car...at quite a loss..63K miles but it was a modded car)

Should have extended the extended warranty a second time..LOL so I'm biased..

Extended warranty's are tricky, especially in this economic climate. You want to make sure the company is around when you need them. GMPP is great, but typically doesn't pay the tech the same amount of time to do the job that an aftermarket warranty does, which can determine the quality of repair. You may need to go back for repairs numerous times during the policy coverage, so a zero deductible is preferred so that you don't end up paying more for the policy and having to hassle with trying to convince someone it was the same problem. GMPP or aftermarket, make sure there is a guarantee of coverage if they go out of business.

I got the GMPP. I also have an '06. Never had an issue yet. But, I got it for just in cases. The repair costs on just about anything is gonna out wiegh the cost of the policy. But, that's just me.

I think its a good insurance policy to buy...

Who'd you buy yours from?

How much? which mileage and deductible?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom