Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Extra play in tilt steering wheel

Jessica19699

Corvette
1998 Jet black coupe
Hello CAC viewers I got a question I have a 92 base corvette and the steering wheel as a lot of extra play(movement up and down) in it, I'm assuming the previous owner used it a lot for leverage to get in and out of the car, anyway it failed an VA inspection do to the extra play in the wheel I was able to buy one of the oversized pivot pins online and had it installed I did get the inspection on the car and it did the job for a short while until I had the stereo serviced in the car and I forgot to tell the technicians working on it not to use the steering wheel to get out of the car so now the steering wheel pretty much does the same thing it did before I installed the oversized pivot pin..so my question is I'm assuming the next step will be to get the tilt steering knuckle replaced or am I wrong? I do have a new one already that I purchased a little while back ,what is involved in replacing one? like I said I got the knuckle already is there any other parts I will need to replace to fix the extra play along with the knuckle ,also which is an easier fix to try to get a used 92 steering column and install the whole column or to fix the one I got with parts . does anyone know where I can get a used steering column also I looked on eBay already and there is minimal available, if I need any additional parts for the tilt steering to fix the extra play does anyone know what others parts I need and where to get them and how much they may cost? thanks in advance:)

Jessica while you have it apart you will want to replace the ignition actuator and the Hi-Beam(dimmer) actuator too. The ignition actuator is cast aluminum and bends after a while from the excessive pin play in the column. It will eventually separate from the actuator rod that goes down to the ignition switch. I was lucky, mine separated while I was in the garage starting it. But it can happen at any time leaving you without control of the ignition switch. Now you are stranded.
The dimmer actuator is plastic and has a small piece on the end that breaks off leaving the dimmer INOP. There are cheap aftermarket ones sold too. Be sure to get original GM for both. They are NOT that expensive.

A word of Caution....Steering columns are very complex animals. Especially with tilt and air bags. Thoroughly read and understand the procedures and cautions in the FSM before doing anything associated with the steering column.

There is also an outfit online called steeringcolumnservices.com. I personally have never dealt with them, but they have a lot of info and parts. I also would NOT buy a used column as most of the used ones will have the same issues your has. It is a very common issue.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

don thanks so much for the reply and I'm so glad you told me about the ignition and dimmer actuator, so I would need to replace them 2 things and replace the tilt steering knuckle with pivot pins to make the column like new again? also I'm having a mechanic fix the column there is no way in hell I would ever attempt that myself I'm clueless when it comes to cars lol. I was just wondering if it a cheaper quicker fix to try to find a used steering column and replace the whole thing or just get new parts and replace those on my current column. Does the steering column shaft have to be removed in order to replace the knuckle?

Yes the dimmer actuator is correct. You also want the ignition rack kit and as long as you are "in" there I would replace the shaft bearing too. Here's the kit I found. https://corvetteparts.com/item/rack-kit-ignition-switch-actuator-repair-with-bearings-1980-1996.

If the bearings are NOT an issue use the kit without them. Just be sure to replace the RACK. That's the aluminum piece that bends.

Regards, Don

Don thanks so much for the info, I will certainly do this, I no I'm not the one who is going to work on this but how involved is it with repairing this issue, do you have to take apart the whole steering column and steering shaft? after I replace the knuckle and the two parts you told me about this will fix the extra play in the wheel to be that of a new one again?

If you have any problems, maybe check with FlamingRiver and see if they have a replacement that would fit/work for you.
Just a thought as I've heard good things about them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom