Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

F55

PeterG

Corvette
2007 black coupe, NCM Lifetime Member
I would appreciate any first-hand experiences, objective observations, and subjective impressions made while driving a C6 with F55.

I am currently driving a 2007 C6 base suspension and considering getting F55 on my soon-to-be-ordered 2009.

Thanks.

I have the F45 on my 2001 C5 and the F55 on my 2007 C6. The F45 has 3-settings while F55 has two (Tour and Sport). Took the C6 on the week long road trip and in most instances kept it in Tour (and the A6 tranny on Sport). The C6 was loaded with two adults, our 2 dachshounds and the their travel kennel, a medium sized cooler, week's worth of dog food, snacks and week's worth of luggage. Tour handled the awful California freeways just fine and gave us a smooth ride. In Arizona's high desert's twisty roads I put it in Sport which was better for the sudden changes in direction. Some will prefer th Z51 suspension but I think the F55 much better for everyday driving. Note that the new ZR1 comes with the F55 system (probably upgraded some) and not the Z51. If you plan to use your vette as a daily driver and/or go on long trips choose the F55. If you're strictly a weekend driver with some track time and/or autocrosses in you future you may want to choose the Z51. Then again some have added Z51 type swaybars to their F55 system and had the best of both worlds. :w

Simply stated: F55 "Magnetic Selective Ride Control" or "Magnaride" or just "MR" will improve the car's performance handling and it will improve the car's ride over the base suspension.

The above post compares F45 and F55 but, unfortunately, the comparison is not very useful because, while both systems use computer-control to adjust shock valving, the manner and the speed by which the two systems work are vastly different...as are the results.

F45 was always a ride enhacement and did nothing for performance handling.

F55 is a ride enhancement, but because of it's greater bandwidth, is also capible of a signficant improvement in handling. Not only is the damping bandwidth much greater but the speed with which the shocks can change damping is much quicker.

My Vettes are daily drivers and used on road trips. Both C6's are MagRide and I'm guite satisified with them. I previously owned a MagRide '03 AE and loved it.

Tour for most daily driving chores and Sport when I want a better feel for the road and better handling. You get the big brakes with F55 on the new C6's also.

i have owned base, Z51 and now an F55 car. all i can say is that if you do alot of intown driving - F55 is the bomb. you cannot loose with the best of both worlds. :upthumbs

I had F55 on my '03 AE and loved it. Had one problem with leaking shock, but was replaced on warranty. I got a new '08 with F55 on Saturday and it is just as good. Very compliant in the city on "tour" but firm when put into "sport". I think it is well worth the price of admission. :thumb

Looks like several positve comments regarding F55. Plus I think you get the big brake package (including those sexy drilled rotors) with the F55.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom