Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

factory cd player problem

Geof180

Corvette
94 ZR-1 and a 96 LT1 coupe
would anyone have any ideas on what i could do with my factory cd player?? it simply will not accept a disk when one is inserted...

everything besides the cd player works and sounds great...

see, i am trying to avoid having the entire radio/cassette/cd unit yanked outta the dash and shipped away - for who knows how long - for service....

when i called the local places here in the springs, i kept getting the same response: "factory bose unit on a corvette?? we will not touch it....." hmm.....

i would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions..

Geof

CD

Geof:
The CD on my 91 will accept a disc, but then spit it out 5 seconds later. I agree with you in not wanting to take the unit out and send it away. Everytime I hear Bose I equate it with problems. I'm going to look around and fine a quality aftermarket unit. I loves my car and I loves my tunes, and together they really make music.
Lar

I don't know if you ever got your CD repaired, but I have the same problem... I just bought a '94 with the Delco Bose AM/FM/Cassette/CD (U1F). Everything works great except for the CD player. It will not pull the CD into the player.

I've had the thing apart a few times, and thought that I'd see a mechanical trip lever of some sort that senses the existence of the CD which activates the rollers and pulls it in. I cannot find any such mechanical device.

If I apply 12 volts directly to the motor that drives the rollers, the CD will pull in just fine, so I know the motor is OK. I just don't know what activates it!

Does anyone know if the laser senses the CD, then activates the rollers to pull it in? If so, I don't suspect I'll be able to fix it myself.

I did check out 'Doctor Don's' (see other threads about CD players), however, and it looks like he can handle the repair for $150 plus $12 for shipping. That beats the $300+ repair services I've seen elswhere, but I'd sure like to put that money towards a Hurst shifter, instead :)

I have heard good things about Dr. Dons and the price seems reasonable. Good Luck, Guy

Dr. Don - what a guy

I can't speak highly enough about Dr. Don.

Don't even waste your time -just remove the unit as per instructions elsewhere on this board, check out EBay for one of his $110 auctions, win it then send it off - you will get it back in 2-5 days, and it will work. The service is the same as his advertised $150 repair. He also cleans/adjusts the Cassette deck and fixes anything else on the dash unit.

I went through all of the above posts myself hoping I could save some bucks , but wished I had not wasted the time.

I currently have problems with my new Yukon CD, but this is a warranty issue.

Regards,

Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom