Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

40th Anniversary fake 40th anniversarys

1993 40th Anniversary Corvette Topic
What do you guy’s thing about this: people install 40th anniversary emblems on there hoods, thinking they have the 40th anniversary package: check out the hot talk on the corvette forum

It's cool with me if people want to put 40th anniversary emblems on their 93s. To me these people are just trying to dress up the car and if it's a 93 then hey it is the 40th anniversary year. All of the leather seats have the 40th anniversary emblem embroidered on the headrests anyway.

Now what would be uncool and fraudulent would be to take a non Z25 equipped car, paint it Ruby red, add the Ruby interior and badges and then try to pass it off as a car with the 40th anniversary appearance package which makes the car a 40th Anniversary Edition. Whew I hope that makes some sense.

I don't think that many people would go to the extreme of trying to make a fake Z25 equipped car because the economics of it. Right now a good Z25 car commands maybe a couple thousand dollar premium. It would cost more to create the fake then it would return.

So if I see a non-Ruby red 93 with 40th anniversary badges it doesn't bother me one bit.

It does not really bother me, however I have seen a number of 1993 cars listed for sale as "40th Anniversery" cars. Yes all 93's with leather seats have the 40th logo but the "edition" had the logo's, the ruby red, the ruby red center caps, ruby interior, and on the verts, the ruby top. No other year of 93 had this combo of everything matching like that. In fact no other C-4 or any vette as I know had that (the 50th's had tan tops).Many of the posts on that thread talked about trying to sell the car for more value by putting the logos on, however I dont think anyones intent that owns a 93 and does that is to "add value" however I can see a dealer boosting the price a bit by listing it as a 40th Anniv. "Edition". In many cases it would be an honest mistake.

The other thing that I have yet to see and I am suprised, is a black or white vert, with black or white top and matching interior have the matching color center caps and 40th logos and pass it off as a "one and only black 40th anniversery edition".

Interesting dialog as well about the possibility of some of the non ruby cars just showing up with the 40th emblems on them. I wondered if that really did happen?
I know when Buick made the T-Type and Grand National, the GN's had a tri-shield buick emblem in the horn cap. The T-Types had a "T". Every now and then the factory would run out of tri-sheilds and just put a "T" emblem in the center cap on a GN or vice versa. Now if you see a GN with a "T" center cap, the first thing people ask is: "Is that a real GN or a clone". Then you have to explain the whole story. It is just as easy to buy a tri-sheild cap and swap out the "T" to avoid confusion.

I don't have a problem with it as they are 40th year cars. I do have a problem when people try to sell a non-Ruby 93 as a 40th Anniversary car. That is reserved for the Ruby Vettes only. They are the only ones that can be advertised as 40th Anniversary Edition/Package Corvettes.

I don't have a problem with it as they are 40th year cars. I do have a problem when people try to sell a non-Ruby 93 as a 40th Anniversary car. That is reserved for the Ruby Vettes only. They are the only ones that can be advertised as 40th Anniversary Edition/Package Corvettes.

Agreed, I was part of that thread on CF last night and if you read it all, no one was trying to represent their car as a 40th Anniversary Edition car. This guy who started the whole mess on the thread kept accusing us of doing that, but let's face it, anyone looking at my black 93 with 40th emblems on it knows it's not a Ruby and I would never advertise it as such. The guy was a little out of his element.

Aren't all 1993 Corvettes 40th Anniversary Corvettes? And 1993 Anniversary Edition Corvettes are the Z25 option cars in Ruby Red.

As I recall, all 2003 Corvettes got the 50th Anniversary emblems, but only the 1SC optioned cars got the Anniversary Red paint and trim.

Seems like a non-issue as long as someone isn't trying to pass off a non-Anniversary Edition car as the real McCoy. ;)

:wJane Ann

Aren't all 1993 Corvettes 40th Anniversary Corvettes? And 1993 Anniversary Edition Corvettes are the Z25 option cars in Ruby Red.

As I recall, all 2003 Corvettes got the 50th Anniversary emblems, but only the 1SC optioned cars got the Anniversary Red paint and trim.

Seems like a non-issue as long as someone isn't trying to pass off a non-Anniversary Edition car as the real McCoy. ;)

Great post Jane Ann!

My 1978 had 25th Anny emblems- although it was not a Silver Anny car.

Seems like badging all cars in an anniversary year is about the norm based on history.

1978, 1988, 1993, 2003 and the list will go on...

Same thing happens with the 2003 cars - all have 50th anniversary in the front and rear logo's but only the Anniversary Edition got the side badges. That doesn't stop people from adding them to other 2003 Vettes and many refer to them as anniversary editions when they are not. It really shouldn't be a big deal.

A few years ago, I painted my old '92 like a reverse Grand Sport and put Grand Sport badges on the sides of the hood. I never presented it as a real Grand Sport but I had other people tell me it was at Corvette shows like they knew something I didn't about my car.

What's even more humorous is that on the 'other' forum he claims to have a C5 and a C6. Here he has a 1993 Ruby..........

Anyone know where I can get the 39th Anniversary emblems for my 92? :L

I sent that guy a "wake-up" call, but I'm sure others already have! :L

Elaine

I belive this kind of listing or advertising is what the original poster was talking about. I usually see this type of stuff from dealers (no offense to those dealers that know what they are doing), and it seems like it is usually the "exotic" car guys.

How many of us have looked at a corvette at a dealer and knew more about them then the sales guy? They are just trying to make a sale and buyer beware.

I belive this kind of listing or advertising is what the original poster was talking about. I usually see this type of stuff from dealers (no offense to those dealers that know what they are doing), and it seems like it is usually the "exotic" car guys.

How many of us have looked at a corvette at a dealer and knew more about them then the sales guy? They are just trying to make a sale and buyer beware.
I think you hit the nail right on the head, Dad. :thumb

Although there are probably more than a few unscrupulous types out there that know the difference and just ignore it, I believe most are simply ignorant of the significance of the nomenclature when describing the Vette for an ad. And that goes double for used car salesmen who don't specialize in Corvettes - unlike our own GS Diva, who knows more about Corvettes than many car guys. :thumb

I'm reminded of the radio blooper from years ago, when a DJ was interviewing by phone a used car salesman who worked for a dealership that advertised regularly on the station. While describing the car being featured as the "special" for the day, the salesman got a bit excited in his spiel and proclaimed it an "immaculate conception"! :boogie

I think it's safe to say he was thinking of contraption and got confused... although it is possible he knew something we don't. :chuckle

This is the kinda of garbage this thread is about, this guy needs to get a clue big time.

1993 Corvette 45th anniversary edition - RED!

45th Anniversary? its a 40th you idiot, I think a Vette napping is in order. He doesn't deserve the car. That and I could use a nice weather daily driver.

This is the kinda of garbage this thread is about, this guy needs to get a clue big time.

1993 Corvette 45th anniversary edition - RED!

45th Anniversary? its a 40th you idiot, I think a Vette napping is in order. He doesn't deserve the car. That and I could use a nice weather daily driver.

Because some are not well versed in the history and details doesn't make them an idiot... just un-educated. And that's what sites like this are for... education, enlightenment, community. ;)

Because some are not well versed in the history and details doesn't make them an idiot... just un-educated. And that's what sites like this are for... education, enlightenment, community. ;)

I agree, I accidently post my car as a 50th once.

All 93's are anniversaries and option Z25 is the Anniverary Edition option.
Who cares what people do, they are not affecting you, so why get your panties in a wad.

Sorry Jane Ann, looked up after I wrote and saw your name, but the phrase fits. :D

I agree, I accidently post my car as a 50th once.

All 93's are anniversaries and option Z25 is the Anniverary Edition option.
Who cares what people do, they are not affecting you, so why get your panties in a wad.

Sorry Jane Ann, looked up after I wrote and saw your name, but the phrase fits. :D

No harm no foul.

But if you're operating under the assumption my knickers are in a bunch, you're severely mistaken. I was responding to a previous post by someone whose knickers are definitely knotted up. :L

... specifically the post I quoted. ;)

I recall when I bought my first Corvette, a '94 in 2001, I didn't know any of the history or traditions and didn't find this website until I purchased my second Corvette, the '98, in 2004. It was then that I first learned about the "wave" (so that's why I kept getting waves from all those friendly Corvette drivers - and I did wave back!) and began reading about "Anniversary Editions" and "Collector Editions" and the significance of each, along with all manner of Corvette jargon I'd never heard before. Or heard and mis-understood.

Maybe that's why I have more patience with the un-initiated. I'm not insecure or threatened if someone asks me if my Corvette (a C5) is new. I'm not insulted or offended if someone tells me their neighbor has one of those LT4s in their Vette and I find out it's NOT a '96.

And I'm not outraged if someone tells me they have a '93 Anniversary Edition Corvette... in black.

If I'm interested in talking to them further, I just clear up their misconceptions if I can. And I give them the web address for this site.

XLR8, sorry for not clarifying better, but my 1st sentence was to you and the rest to the complainers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom