Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

faster speedos for 81 vette?

Corvette
1981 Corvette Spectramaster Blue
do they make speedos that go over 85 for my 81 I really would like something that goes over 100 atleast (not that I would ever speed or anything like that:cool ;) :cool) But I would be nice to have.

Thanks,
John Dykstra

81 Speedo Guages

John,

Yep, they do make after market speedos that show around 165 mph.
Corvette Central has both a digital guage and a service to convert your guage to the 165 mph guage.
See page 89 of the 68 to 82 Parts Catalogue.
I am pretty sure that there are others that also can supply the parts or service and the price is around $139 US Dollars.

I too have an 81 Coupe with the same problem, but have decided that due to originality, I will keep the factory part.

Hope this has helped,

Cheers

Tony

definately redline... awesome guy to work with and quick, very quick...... he sends you his 140, you send your 85 in the same box. awesome....... looks real trick......

140 speedo installed

Above posts are true, I did my speedo head three weeks ago, with Red Line (800) 375-2130, John is a good guy. Mine rebuilt came cleaned and calibered, works and looks great. Replaced my bad speedo cable while old head was out....enjoy LOBO OUT!!!

is this a easy swap I mean how hard are we talin here also when you say calibrated that means I won't have to worry about guessing how fast I am going 60 will mean 60 on it? Not tring to sound stupid but I really want to do this.

John Dykstra

total of 6 screws for the cluster, comes right out, unscrew the cablefrom the back, and if you have a speed sensor (like mine did) u need to undo the one screw for it........ then theres i think 8 allen screws to take out then 3, 3/16th (i think bolts) and youre good to go......... some ppl dont take out the cluster but its a good time to clean it all out......... (youre sun stroked tach might need a good clean to try to match your brand new sppeedo ;) easy easy easy....

140 Speedo

John,
GO FOR IT.
Dollar for dollar, the speedo upgrade is going to be one of your best mods ever, and pretty hard to beat for the money.
You won't be sorry, and the install is pretty straight forward.

Just becarful the first few times driving,
(I spent more time looking at it - than the road)
:L :L :Steer :L :L

Redline...

Yep, John is DA MAN. I did the conversion. $57 and he even set the correct mileage before he shipped mine out.

Below the pic in my signature is a link to my pictures which include shots of the old and new speedo from RedLine.

Evolution1980: me thinky you speedy :) just jokin that is lookin nice I am going to get it probably this week.

On the other hand I am delaying because the car that I got out of california is not here yet and as of right now we are at two weeks it is a nice car and I hate waiting oh this is where I got it.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2412086884>

<b>I JUST WANT MY CAR</b> ya know?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom