Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fender Flares, Big Blocks, Side Pipes, and big hoods

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Finally, I am taking some photos out in the sunshine. I had to scrub the car this morning to get the last couple of months of shop dust and grime off the finish. Racer78 suggested I get it out in the sun and take some shots several months ago. I can't believe it has taken me this long. I think the anticipation of hearing the engine roar was keeping my from doing much else. Thought I would update the website with some shots. For those of you considering a big block, side pipes, fender flares, or big hood.........maybe this will help you make up your mind.

I am starting to see a light at the end of this long twisted tunnel!

Thanks you all of your help and suggestions it is starting to become reality.

C3%20No%20Hood.JPG

C3%20Front%20View.JPG

C3%20Left%20Side%20View.JPG

WOW!

Almost there

What's left to do??!!!!!!
( besides rims & tires )

Mike

I ordered the wheels and tires.

Rear rims will be 12" (right at 13" from edge to edge), and front will be about 10" (nearly 11" from edge to edge).

They should be here in about a month in a half or so. The rear hoops are a custom build.

I still need a throttle linkage, air cleaner, rebuild the convertible top, install the windshield trim, and a million misc. things here there and everywhere.

I swear to you I would have driven it around the block on Friday had the fuel pump issue with the computer not come up. Plus, at that time I did not have the master cylinder on, so it had no brakes. It took us like two hours of pumping and bleeding to get fluid all the way the a new dry system.

Chris
My Black Rat posse brother, your lookin good!!!
Took some of the new paint job on mine!

Can't post em as good as you but heres the side

Black Thunder, That black paint looks deep enough to swim in. You timed your paint job out just perfect to start enjoying this awesome mild spring weather we are having.

Chris

The car looks realy good all the hard was worth it and don`t forget to wave in Fla.

Garry

Blackthunder

Hay I`ll probley see you in PSL when I do I`ll wave.

Garry

Garry stop over to Regency Square mall in Stuart,on a Thursday nite. They have a car show there every week. Quite a few Vettes!
John

Chris,

I took the time to go to you web site and I have to tell you that what you have done is unbeleivable. People talk about what to look for when they are buying a vette and you broke all the advice given about what not to buy and have managed to put together a cherry ride.

I look forward to seeing you at sharkfest.

Bob

Chris it's looking very nice, can't wait to see the new wheels on it.

Hi
Fantastic .
What a nice job from the wreck you bought.
Wow, this rollbar is magic.
Is it custom made ? Stainless or chrome ?
Can you still operate the ragtop, stow and close it normally ?
I'm looking already for a long time for a rollbar for my 68 BB convertible, without any luck.
Your's is exactly the one, I had in mind.
Info on it is very welcome.
Thanks
Gunther
my_vette_new_left_side_1.jpg

THE HOOD THE HOOD!!!

HEY BRO
I WAS LOOKING AT A L88 HOOD FOR MY VETTE, WHERE DID YOU GET YOURS FROM AND WHAT ARE THE STATS ON IT i.e. HIGHT OVER STOCK, PRICE, FIT, STURDYNESS? THE CAR LOOKS GREAT!!!!HOW ABOUT A CLOSE UP OF THE RATTTT

Hey Chris, great job - you've gotta be so stoked!

My heart pumps harder & faster every time I see a sweet chrome bumper, and yours just made it happen!!

Have fun with her...

Re: THE HOOD THE HOOD!!!

tacoed said:
HEY BRO
I WAS LOOKING AT A L88 HOOD FOR MY VETTE, WHERE DID YOU GET YOURS FROM AND WHAT ARE THE STATS ON IT i.e. HIGHT OVER STOCK, PRICE, FIT, STURDYNESS? THE CAR LOOKS GREAT!!!!HOW ABOUT A CLOSE UP OF THE RATTTT

I got the hood from a local recycle shop for $150 in gelcoat. I have about 50 hours of hand blocking and priming in it as it had some serious defects. Unless you have a whole lot of patients, don't buy a bargain hood.

As far as size/clearance, I don't really know yet. I have not even started to figure out my air cleaner configuration.

More photos to come.

Gotta sort out the bugs for now.

Lookin good Chris. I bet your on pins and needles waiting to try it out. With all the work you have done you deserve to take her for a ride. ENJOY

Gunther said:
Hi
Fantastic .
What a nice job from the wreck you bought.
Wow, this rollbar is magic.
Is it custom made ? Stainless or chrome ?
Can you still operate the ragtop, stow and close it normally ?
I'm looking already for a long time for a rollbar for my 68 BB convertible, without any luck.
Your's is exactly the one, I had in mind.
Info on it is very welcome.
Thanks
Gunther
my_vette_new_left_side_1.jpg

I am really glad you like them. I had them custom built. However, the fellow that built them for me would be more than happy to make some for you or anybody else looking. They are made out of full race car chassis quality steel, mandrel bent, then powder coated in silver with a clear powder coating to get the wet shinny look. They run all the way down in the floor and the seat track bolts through them. You still have full use of the convertible top, and can attach a four or five point harness.

I did some trading and swaping to get this done. The fellow that built them is Jimmy Britts of Southern Speed Racing.

Jimmy Britts

Telephone 904-272-2851.

If you contact him, tell him I (Chris McDonald) gave you his number.

Chris,

Beautiful job!!

Is that hood a real L88 hood as in still have your wiper door?
Or a long hood.

A short L88 hood is now on my wish list, Now that I'll have a respectable powerplant.

Sometime's I wish I had gone with black too, but I don't envy the amount of time you'll be cleaning that beauty.

RalleyRed said:
Chris,

Beautiful job!!

Is that hood a real L88 hood as in still have your wiper door?
Or a long hood.

A short L88 hood is now on my wish list, Now that I'll have a respectable powerplant.

Sometime's I wish I had gone with black too, but I don't envy the amount of time you'll be cleaning that beauty.

Yep, it is the shorty! It also has the inner housing already bonded in place to hold the hood mounted air cleaner. That is what I am shooting for. In fact, since those pics we bolted the hood on and put the latches in place. I ran an extra wire in the harness to have a mercury switch under hood light if desired, and am contimplating where and how I want to do that now. I like to get the new style weather pack plugs and hard wire that into the harness with the flexi wrap so it looks like a late model OEM harness and light assembly.

If you look through my pics you will see a funky looking thing on the firewall where your vacuum can is to operate the wiper door. In place of the vacuum, I installed a linear electric actuator motor, a series of solid state switch relays, and converted my wiper door to electric power. This electric assembly takes up far less space than the old suck can, and it will obviously operate when the engine is off. I also converted the headlights to electric actuators much different than the wiper door, but the same concept. So, I was able to ditch the huge vacuum resevior that typically sits in the driver inner fender of the older sharks. Plus, I installed delay wipers from a 1982 style corvette, then had to work out the bugs so that the door would stay up while the wipers were on pause for the delay stroke. Man, I am glad that part of the project is behind me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom