Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fiberglass prep - gel coat or primer?

56 Texas

Corvette
been shopping paint shops, one guy says he never puts primer on glass cars, just gel coat, works that smooth and paints it.. most I have spoken to prime, work it and then paint.. any opinions ??

Primer or not to primer

You will hear a ton of different opinions on this subject. I will tell you that you need a 2 part type of sealer. I have been using featherfill for 20 years and it is still a good product on the earlier fiberglass cars. it is a polyester primer/surfacer. hope this helps.

my '65 is in the paint shop now. My painter has 30+ years experience specializing in older Vettes and he never gelcoats. He puts on a sealer than primer coats.

A polyester based primer is all you need if the body has a lot of work done to it. If the body is orig. glass and in real nice shape then you can use a urethane primer. Most people mistake polyester primers for gel coat. They are not gel coat. Feather Fill or Slick Sand are good polyester primers. I use one made by Fourseal. It is used on boats. Don't get all caught up in this gel coat thing. You do not need gel coat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom