Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally, a Simple C5 Cupholder (lengthy for dialups)

Jacob

Corvette
2007 Z06 Machine Silver
Here's an inexpensive ($2.00) cupholder which will fit where your existing cupholder goes. The difference is it works. This project requires removal of your console but is reversible. You also need to remove the lid of the existing cupholder by taking out the pins.

Start with a $2.00 black 2 inch cupholder from SeaDog, found in Marine supply stores. A 3 inch model is available if you want more height.

DSCN1903vga.jpg

You then need to leather wrap the plastic holder, inside and out. I used contact cement and stretched the leather over the upper rim of the cupholder to contact the inside. I then added a strip to the inner walls of the cupholder. Finally, I made a leather strip with foam to go around the outside of the cupholder, to fill up the void in the console.

DSCN1898vga.jpg

Besides looking good, the leather wrapping ends up creating a snug fit for pop cans and plastic travel mugs.

DSCN1899vga.jpg

DSCN1900vga.jpg

For those that have been asking, I've added several views of the console, showing where the ashtray was removed before relocating the HVAC controls. This step is not needed for the cupholder project.

DSCN1901vga.jpg

Notice the screw fastened from the top to secure the finished cupholder.

DSCN1902vga.jpg

Following are several views of the finished job.

DSCN1906vga.jpg

DSCN1910vga.jpg

Other than the leather wrapping which requires a little practice, this is a relatively easy mod. Don't forget to store your old cupholder lid and pins for future reversing of this project.

Apologies for the BMW travel mug. I need to get something from GM.

Jacob

yellow_2002_germany said:
Did you put the seat warmers in too?

I did the electrical work. Daniel's shop (Northwest Automotive Leather) actually installed the heating elements while doing my seats.

Jacob

Jacob

What kind of GPS is that you have? I am looking for an all in one unit that fits in the dash. How good does it work?

Tom

tpreston said:
Jacob

What kind of GPS is that you have? I am looking for an all in one unit that fits in the dash. How good does it work?

Tom

Garmin StreetPilot. Works very well. Have a look at their site:

http://www.garmin.com/

Jacob

I believe Northwest sells these seat warmer kits for $100 a side.

The going rate for 2 installed kits is about $500 all in.

Jacob, was it plug-n-play to re-route the A/C control unit to the ashtray and then mount the GPS where the A/C control was previously mounted?

cavettefan said:
Jacob, was it plug-n-play to re-route the A/C control unit to the ashtray and then mount the GPS where the A/C control was previously mounted?

Yep. Needed to drill new mounting holes for the relocated A/C.

Very nice install. Thanks for up loading it. It is definately on my list of next mods. The down side is now I'm looking at GPS's, while I've got it apart! This $2.00 mod could get expensive.

Jacob:One last question. Where did you relocate the cig.lighter? I like to be able to use both points. Thanks

Cigarette lighter is in the spare parts bin.

Ok...

I've got a Garmin Streetpilot, and I have to load different maps, depending on where I'm going. How do you get the memory chip changed? Or do you just hook up your laptop with the special plug that you keep hidden until you need to change?

amledford said:
Ok...

I've got a Garmin Streetpilot, and I have to load different maps, depending on where I'm going. How do you get the memory chip changed? Or do you just hook up your laptop with the special plug that you keep hidden until you need to change?
Have a 32MB cartridge. I load what I need based on the trip.

Do you have the 2610 or the 2650 Garmin? Is it hooked up to your speedometer and how big of compact card do I need to load eastern US?

tpreston said:
Do you have the 2610 or the 2650 Garmin? Is it hooked up to your speedometer and how big of compact card do I need to load eastern US?
Neither. I have the original Streetpilot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom