Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally Drove L81

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
I want to thank all of you for the support provided. :upthumbs

This weekend, and while in the middle of a family reunion, I finally got the Vette ready for a test drive.:Steer

Now, someone would think that a reunion is way more important that working on the Vette, and they would be 100% correct; however, my brother-in-law Dave is a very good mechanic (still keeps his certification up-to-date), and he and the rest of my brothers-in-law wanted a weekend spent in my garage listening to sports, drinking some beer :beer , and of course working on the Vette (Dave has a killer 70 Nova that he drives to car shows every chance he gets, and Mark has wrenched on Harley-Davidson's since forever). Even my father-law enjoyed hanging out in the garage. It was a great time. The side benefit was getting the Vette ready.

Well, about 2 hours ago, Dave and I went for a test drive, and I can report that we got NO "check engine" flashes, no leaks, and no stalls. I will take-it-easy for about 500 miles, but the Vette sounds and feels strong.

Next stop will be a paint job! :_rock

GerryLP:cool

Glad to hear of your successes!!!!congrats on a job well done!!!!!

Yeah !!

Excellent News.. Hope all keeps up being tight Gerry..

:w
-Stefan

Thanks guys! It really feels good to have her running again. It really means alot to have my family's help at the end. It was a good bonding experience.

Gerry,

:upthumbs :D glad you're back on the road. Just wish I'd had my head where it belonged when we moved... I've sent my old nieghbor an email to see if he can get that 84L Paint from the Lady that bought our old house... so far :(

I know exactly where I left it... I was planning on sticking in the cab of the Truck AND FORGOT!!! CRS or call what you want :cry

ANYWAY, you are that much closer to have Roxie (?) back together and Road Ready.... yeeehaw

Bud

Gerry,

:upthumbs :D glad you're back on the road...to see if he can get that 84L Paint from the Lady that bought our old house... I was planning on sticking in the cab of the Truck AND FORGOT!!!

Bud, No worries! If it turns-up fine, and if it doesn't, then is fine as well. You were thinking of me, and I do appreciate it very much. The thought is what counts! :beer

rare81 said:
..you are that much closer to have Roxie (?) back together and Road Ready.... yeeehaw Bud

:L Her name is Gail :bu. I think that maybe Roxie was DLL's L81 (Dale?) car? :confused

Anyway,

I noticed a small leak from the temp sender on the intake, and I fixed that this morning. Again, not bad at all on how it worked-out. I do have a reservation at the CF IV's lodge, so we're getting really ready. :_rock

My Man From NM.....

Gerry, I know we were a "little" rough on you at Cruisefest one in Indiana but you did warn us, you're NOT a drinker;) You still managed to hold your own and then some. I'm very proud to say I know you, have met you AND will see you again. Congrats on the 81 My Brother:D

Gerry, I know we were a "little" rough on you at Cruisefest one in Indiana but you did warn us, you're NOT a drinker;) You still managed to hold your own and then some. I'm very proud to say I know you, have met you AND will see you again. Congrats on the 81 My Brother:D

Hey Lou! Great to hear from you! That long drive really tired me and took me out of sinc. I could have used a couple of days before hand to visit all of those fine places with you before the CF started. :L That would have been an awesome bootcamp!

Definitely I could not keep up with the blender Generals, Colonels, and generally speaking, top brass. Heck, I think that Mrs. Roadster Fan (meaning Tammy-wife-of-Bret) was a Brigadier General there. I guess that makes me a lowly Sargent ;LOL It was great to follow you, Evo (Andre), and the brigade into battle...:pat

Just returned from driving the Vette this evening. I tried to fine tune the idle mixture, but the passenger-side adjusting jet is harder to turn than the driver-side, so I didn't want to force it. The driver-side has about 3 turns out from bottoming, so I guess it'll have to wait until Monday when I'll take it to the shop that rebuilt it. See what they tell me.:ugh

Anyway, it ran great. I have a shifting-harmonic vibration at the rear. It happens at different speeds, and sometimes it does not happens at all. I'll have to get under the Vette again and see what has come loose.

I was trying to remember what the cabin interior looks like at night, and I recall the majority, but I can't remember if the A-C control is illuminated. The light bulb near the air vents is illuminating, but the A-C control looks too dark.

The cruise control still works.:beer

I couldn't get the A-C fan speed to change when I changed the switch position.

My a/c panel doesn't light up either, so either we both have problems, or that's they way it was built. Hope someone else chimes in.

-Tatortot

Make sure the bulb in the dash shinning down on the center console is the right one. I don't recall the number off hand, but it is listed at the Registry along with all the other bulbs. ANYway the bulb that illuminates the Heater/Air-Conditioning/Vent controls has a magnifying tip on it that concentrates the light toward the center console area ;) regular bulbs that fit won't provide enough light to see the controls ..

Sounds like "Gail" loves the make over ;) :lou :Steer

Bud

Bud,

Thanks for the tip. I do recall the manifying tip on the stock bulb. I'll go to the L81 web site and get the P/N from there. Thanks!

Now, I can concentrate on the minor details to make Gail really shine.

Gerry,

Glad that you are back on the road. :upthumbs

Gerry,
What did you finally end up with for engine heads?

Also, there are no bulbs in the A/C controls, just the light from above. I replaced mine as part of a bulb kit from Mid-America....the blasted thing is so bright...looks like a mini-Mag light or something.....:L .

Status on mine is that apparently I did not get a good seal on the intake manifolds on the bottom side and so it is sucking oil from the lifter valley. I go through a 1/2 quart of oil if I drive it to work and back. As soon as I am able to I will take it apart and use some RTV around each intake port. Hopefully that takes care of it. Still has some other issues, like no parking brake, no A/C, leaking pinion seal. Next summer I will remove the rear suspension and have the trailing arms and differential rebuilt. There goes $1000!!!!

Later,
Lanny

Gerry,
What did you finally end up with for engine heads?...

Later,
Lanny

Lanny, I ended using one of Sensei's heads and one of my heads. These two heads had cracks limited only to the valve seats in the middle exhaust ports, and so I asked the shop to replace the seats. I searched everywhere, but 624 heads with no cracks are a pretty unlikely successful search, so even though Edwards Engines recommended against putting valve seats in them, I opted for that since I will not be racing Gail. She will be mostly a cruiser.

I got a lot of help from a lot of folks here (including you, Lanny and Sensei), and I thank you both and all the L81ers folks once again. :beer

p.s. Don't let that oil leak go too long without repair. Oil cocking :mad will form behind the affected valves at the affected runner.

p.s. Don't let that oil leak go too long without repair. Oil cocking :mad will form behind the affected valves at the affected runner.[/quote]

GerryLP,
Now that my thumb has healed enough to where I can use a wrench again, I will be taking the intake off and hopefully fixing that oil leak once and for all. I will be taking a good look at the intake valves and if I find too much cooked oil on them....off with the heads!!! Sure a good thing that I never put the A/C back on yet....

LannyL81

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom