Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally Found The Battery Drain

When I got back from Santa Barbara yesterday I heard a strange noise coming from my '82. I could hear a little tick tick tick tick tick tick tick noise coming from the area under the power antenna so it appears it IS the power antenna that is causing the annoying battery drain. As long as I start the engine every week or so my battery doesn't go dead but when I don't start it for a couple of weeks it'll go completely dead. By merely pulling the radio fuse I can stop the drain so I think I'll just do that.

Antenna "Down" Is The Default Position

When the power to the radio is removed the antenna will power down and that's what my problem appears to be. Once my battery voltage reaches a certain "low" point the antenna defaults to the down position which kills my battery deader-than-dead. So dead my radio's clock goes dead. So it appears a certain amount of battery voltage MUST be present at all times. Hmm.

I would say check it my measuring it! It could be the antenna is the mean problem but who says it's the only problem? On mine the gps alarm drains the battery at a contant rate even more then the entire alarm itself. Measuring how much amps go to the different fuses gives you the best insight! :)

Greetings Peter

I'd bet the power antenna has a mechanical "limit" switch that is supposed to open once the antenna mast is in the extreme down position. But it looks like that switch is not quite opening once the mast reaches the bottom and that's why there is a constant battery drain. Maybe when I'm bored and looking for something to do I'll take the antenna assembly out and open it for inspection. About 10 years ago I replaced the plastic "chain" inside but I don't remember anything else about it. In the meantime I have pulled the RADIO fuse out so my battery will stay charged. I rarely use it's radio any way so it's no big loss to me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom